Author Topic: Same network multi static routes  (Read 2057 times)

phototoy_co

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Same network multi static routes
« on: November 18, 2013, 12:52:59 am »
Hi to all,

I just want to ask how to achieve setting up multi static route on the same network

Let say i set 129.37.2.0/24      xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
and             129.37.2.0./24     yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy

phototoy_co

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Same network multi static routes
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 02:25:28 am »
In my setup i have defined 129.37.2.0/24  -  ISP1 in the static route page and in multi-gateway rules i created an object with the same network (129.37.2.0/24)for members and i select ISP2 for its gateway. will this work?

Also what is the highest gateway weight? 15 or 1? which is highest in terms of priority?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 02:34:38 am by phototoy_co »

christian

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 06:33:17 am »
Also what is the highest gateway weight? 15 or 1? which is highest in terms of priority?

Look at this.
For some reason, I can't find the same on 3.2 documentation  ::)
15 has highest priority  ;)

phototoy_co

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 06:42:18 am »

Look at this.
For some reason, I can't find the same on 3.2 documentation  ::)
15 has highest priority  ;)

Thank you so much. I hope that you get my point. Because everytime i add another static route with same network it gives me error saying that network already exist.

phototoy_co

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 06:43:19 am »
Gateway has been added. All i need to accomplish is to set 2 static route on the same network with 2 different ISP.

Example: (Static Route)
129.37.2.0/24 - 10.40.xx.x (ISP1)
129.37.2.0/24 - 129.38.xxx.x(ISP2)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 06:46:36 am by phototoy_co »

christian

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 07:12:23 am »
Do you mean without using Zentyal failover or load balancing feature ?

phototoy_co

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 07:24:59 am »
Do you mean without using Zentyal failover or load balancing feature ?

Any approach will do as long as it brings me to my objective. Better if i have the option to see the difference. I'm also looking on Zentyal Hooks since the native route management of zentyal is iproute2. But the simplier the better. Thank you Christian for your usual promptness

phototoy_co

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 07:31:54 am »
I wish someone can guide step by step achieving this...

christian

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 07:52:11 am »
I've to admit that I don't understand your point here  :-[
Perhaps because you don't tell enough about your configuration or because you do not tell what's the error message when trying to do it using Zentyal GUI  ;)

I'm not using 3.x but I believe that except for fail-over and load balancing mechanisms that are provided with Zentyal, GUI will not allow to configure, using "static routes" options, different routes for same destination. This is pretty obvious at least to me (or there is something I missed here)
Furthermore, it looks like, if I understand well, that your target gateways for this rule are your ISP, so I suppose this should be handled by your default "fail-over" or "load balancing" configuration.

As you keep asking, I suppose this is not but you should explain why so that someone could help further  ;)

my $0.02  8)

phototoy_co

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 08:34:45 am »
Okay.. i will try to explain it as much as i can.

I'm using Zentyal 2.0 here. This Zentyal use 2 ISP IP VPN as a gateway to connect to other location. Under Network >> Static route i have defined the first static route with IP (129.37.2.0/24 will use this gateway(10.40.40.x) in able to connect to other location). So far the routing here is fine. For redundancy purposes i ordered the 2nd IP VPN and i want to use that as well for 129.37.2.0/24 network but when i tried to enter this at Zentyal is give me error, "Network already exist". Since that network has been defined already. To make the long story short, I'm defining the 2nd static route for 129.37.2.0/24 using another gateway (129.38.103.xx) This is my 2nd IP VPN

christian

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 09:29:26 am »
This is a bit clearer but still slightly confused. Sorry.

I may be wrong but if goal is to set up fail-over over VPN, this should be configured at VPN client level where you define IP fail-over address for VPN server to connect too.
Still what is not clear is how much ISP (and NIC on your Zentyal server) you have.

In case you have only one single ISP, you have only one single gateway (not discussing about the VPN stuff here).
Am I correct ?

christian

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 09:35:07 am »
Above been said, I'm not sure Zentyal's implementation, for what concerns VPN client, permits fail-over VPN server  ??? :-[

phototoy_co

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 11:01:47 am »
This is a bit clearer but still slightly confused. Sorry.

I may be wrong but if goal is to set up fail-over over VPN, this should be configured at VPN client level where you define IP fail-over address for VPN server to connect too.
Still what is not clear is how much ISP (and NIC on your Zentyal server) you have.

In case you have only one single ISP, you have only one single gateway (not discussing about the VPN stuff here).
Am I correct ?

The objective is to have WAN failover. I have multiple NICs they have their own ports.

christian

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 11:20:22 am »
If goal is to implement WAN fail-over, you don't need all this stuff you are looking for  8)
I'm running 2.2 with 2 NICs connected to 2 ISPs and do not need any manual set-up to define static routes or stuff like this.
Just define your gateways and then configure WAN fail-over and load balancing if needed. No need for static routes

phototoy_co

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 01:25:24 am »
Hi Christian,

My plan here is to have that specific network which is 129.37.2.0/24 to have 2 static routes. That is my main goal at the moment. Zentyal does not allow multiple static route on the same network. I'm looking for some workaround how to achieve these.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 01:31:02 am by phototoy_co »