Author Topic: Can't seem to install on a (Rackspace) Cloud server...?  (Read 2801 times)

digitalgravy

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Can't seem to install on a (Rackspace) Cloud server...?
« on: November 18, 2013, 01:09:05 am »
Hi all,
This evening I've been attempting to install 3.2 on a new Rackspace Cloud server, but seemingly keep failing to do so successfully. Every time it manages to install the base system, I can get into the dashboard and then go to modify the status of the modules, before saving the changes.
Upon doing so, the system freezes. My guess is that it's attempting to modify the network connection (since the server then becomes unresponsive even to ssh). Is it even possible to set up 3.2 with the communication module remotely on a cloud-like server..? Am I just missing something glaringly obvious that I've not spotted in the seven installs I've attempted..?!

Cheers

christian

Re: Can't seem to install on a (Rackspace) Cloud server...?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 06:26:00 am »
If you don't provide more detail about your settings, answering to your question is quite difficult.
e.g.
- how many network interfaces do you configure?
- which one do you use for remote access?
- how do you set up this interface?

digitalgravy

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 01:09:38 pm »
Sorry christian,

There are 3 network interfaces;
  • eth0 - Public IP
  • eth1 - Rackspace Service Net (private internal datacentre range)
  • eth2 - Private Net (192.168.x range for other servers in my network)

I use eth0 for SSH access (Server is running Ubuntu 12.04 with OpenSSH Server).

The server is setup with Ubuntu 12.04 server edition, and then using the guide from http://trac.zentyal.org/wiki/Documentation/Community/Installation/InstallationGuide (using apt-get to install modules).

The issue comes when trying to save changes (after setting up the modules) and it attempts to modify the network settings, and seemingly disconnecting from the public IP? The server becomes unresponsive from SSH and also from the SSL 443 web interface.

Any ideas?

christian

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 01:36:43 pm »
I never proceed with similar installation but if you do not, before applying changes, ensure that:
- SSH is authorized from internet to eth0
- Zentyal admin port is not open on same interface

when you define eth0 as "external", FW rules prevent access to your server.

BTW, it might be wise to set up different port for Zentyal admin, especially if you intend to run web server with SSL enabled on Zentyal server itself (or even if you try to have some port forwarding.

digitalgravy

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 01:44:29 pm »
So are we thinking that the save changes is modifying the FW rules and blocking access to port 22 & 443?
For installation I'm SSH'ing into the server to execute the commands.

christian

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 01:48:56 pm »
to execute what ?
I mean installing packages (apt-get) should have such effect.
My analysis is therefore perhaps wrong  :-[

I though you were accessing Zentyal GUI and were rejected once configuring eth0 as external (which will have the impact I described previously)

digitalgravy

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 01:58:42 pm »
No, sorry - the server is setup as a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, with OpenSSH server set up. I then SSH to the server and begin installing Zentyal through the steps listed in http://trac.zentyal.org/wiki/Documentation/Community/Installation/InstallationGuide (using apt-get to install the core and common libs).
I'm then able to access the Zentyal GUI through the web interface (port 443). At this point I've tried 2 different options:

1. Install the modules desired through the web GUI as described in http://www.zentyal.org/wp-content/uploads/software_selection.png
2. Install the modules desired using SSH and apt-get to install them manually.

Using either method I'm able to get Zentyal running and can access the dashboard. This is when I start to experience difficulties.
Once in the dashboard I continue to activate the modules using the Module Status page. Of course, before using these new modules I must save the changes (using the button top right). Upon doing so it starts to save changes until it appears to hang and become unresponsive from both the web GUI and SSH directly to the server itself.

I'm going to fire up a new installation now and see at which point it becomes unresponsive.

christian

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 02:14:38 pm »
OK so my understanding (and guess) is indeed correct: you install Zentyal then access GUI and then when you save changes, you can't access any more.
Pretty clear: you have configured modules but forgot to specify in FW rules that you want Zentyal dmin service and SSH to be available through eth0 that is defined as external interface.

AM I correct?

digitalgravy

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 02:16:53 pm »
As I thought, it's as soon as it modifies the network module the network goes down.

"Saving changes in modules
Current operation: Saving network module"

I know that it's wanting to modify the interfaces file, but what does it do to it that causes it to destroy the existing settings? Is there any way to prevent this?
If it has a working setup in interfaces then why does it decide that it needs to change it?

BTW: this happens even if the FW isn't activated in the Zentyal GUI.

digitalgravy

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 02:19:20 pm »
Once it's got to this point the server seems to be totally disconnected - I can't even ping it for a response. Of course being a cloud-based virtual server I can't access it at all at this point!!

christian

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 02:30:02 pm »
As I thought, it's as soon as it modifies the network module the network goes down.

"Saving changes in modules
Current operation: Saving network module"

this confirms my guessing.

I know that it's wanting to modify the interfaces file, but what does it do to it that causes it to destroy the existing settings? Is there any way to prevent this?
If it has a working setup in interfaces then why does it decide that it needs to change it?

because this is the way Zentyal works  ::)
configuration files are based on templates  (look at documentation) and this also covers what you may have configured manually before installing Zentyal.

BTW: this happens even if the FW isn't activated in the Zentyal GUI.
I was not aware that Zentyal could run without FW enabled.
So perhaps issue is with network settings but not FW, although I would be surprised.

digitalgravy

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 02:44:34 pm »
So I see where we may be having some mis-communication. I never get to see this screen: http://doc.zentyal.org/en/_images/scr4.png Presumably that would help?!