Author Topic: Zentyal 3.2.3, Samba hangs on 67%, doesn't continue to 100%... Any ideas???  (Read 6521 times)

EddieA

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Re: Zentyal 3.2.3, Samba hangs on 67%, doesn't continue to 100%... Any ideas???
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2013, 12:00:26 am »
It would be interesting if people with win7(64) and virtual box could post whether or not this is happening.

Also any other 64bit versions running virtualbox just to see if its a Win7 prob.

I can't help as bare metal but will download and give it a go.

I guess you all have processors with virtual support? Might be good to list processor as well.
I have exactly the same issue under ESXi.  Always hangs saving the Samba module.  So it looks like not just vitualbox, but still something to do with running virtual.

And I'm in the same boat of not having any other bare metal around to test this version on.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 12:03:48 am by EddieA »

BrettonWoods

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2013, 02:08:51 am »
I can't really find anything definitive with googling for samba errors. There are errors with samba4 and virtual machines but I am thinking there should be more reports from the amount of people hitting it with Zentyal.

Its definately virtual and its not just virtual box. Why it will work on vmplayer and not virtualbox makes me even more confused.

http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/IPyW4y9gzW7izSO8VbwQ

I don't think its just zentyal after some browsing as there seem to be a few common area's pointing at with not being able to bind to dns.

What the cure is another matter  :( 

Barrydocks

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 08:01:38 am »
Interestingly there are no problems when running Zentyal as a guest in KVM ???

It would be interesting if people with win7(64) and virtual box could post whether or not this is happening.

Also any other 64bit versions running virtualbox just to see if its a Win7 prob.

I can't help as bare metal but will download and give it a go.

I guess you all have processors with virtual support? Might be good to list processor as well.
It's not just limited to Win7(64) as I was running VB on Ubuntu 12.04 64bit host, I haven't tried a 32bit host yet
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 08:05:25 am by Barrydocks »

Barrydocks

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2013, 04:17:03 pm »
UPDATE
I have managed to get Zentyal 3.3 to work on Virtualbox, the samba module loads properly.  I am using Virtualbox 4.2.14 on Ubuntu 12.04 64bit server edition

hakunamatata

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2013, 02:34:03 pm »
December 21, 2013 I've updated my machine to Zentyal 3.3 and the Samba "Hang" problem when changing the acces control and saving the module, still exist!

No clues in /var/log/zentyal/... logfiles
Don't know what it is. I keep on searching

UdoB

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2013, 05:34:37 pm »
December 21, 2013 I've updated my machine to Zentyal 3.3 and the Samba "Hang" problem when changing the acces control and saving the module, still exist!

I had this "67% problem" on one machine with Zentyal 3.2 and with approx 150 GB data in small files. On the first tests I thought something is wrong, something is crashed in the background. The "solution" in my case was easy: just wait. After several hours (!) it finished and all ACL were correct. (Nevertheless: this is an ill behavior.)

Best regards

Udo

hakunamatata

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2013, 02:51:17 pm »
Hi Udo,

Thanks for your suggestion.
it's not the way it should work.
But I'll keep it as an option.
I'll search for the right way first.

Greetz from Amsterdam, The Netherlands

barizon

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2013, 01:28:31 am »
Hello,

I do have this same behaviour in a bare metal installation of Zentyal 3.2.

It's a home appliance, so I do have a small server. A Dell Vostro 200 with 150GB disk and 4GB RAM. All other modules seems to work fine, however I'm stuck in this 67% issue when doing any interaction with Samba.

I rebooted the server and the shares seems to work. I'm creating some shares in a 3TB Seagate Backup USB desktop drive (which I mapped on fstab) and once I reboot the machine, I have all shares with all modifications back.

I'm opened for any suggestions as well.

Thanks,

- Barizon

acon

• Board Moderator
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
It is not a virtualization issue. I have installed zentyal 3.3.2 in 2 proliant MicroServer and same problem.
I have 3 shares with a total of 1.5Tb of mixed small and large files.
The saving changes windows is at 67% for 12h, so i think it is not running.
I have stopped the migration of 3 more servers until this issue is resolved.
This release is not ready for production because file sharing is a basic service in any environement.

acon

• Board Moderator
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
The problem is related to the number of files in shares.
A share with 750 large files (total 750Gb) is procesed in a few seconds.
A share with 30.000 small files (150Gb) is procesed in 2 minutes.
A share with 230.000 mixed files (420Gb) hangs at 67%

acon

• Board Moderator
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
Confirmed same issue in 3.2.
I have left it run for 48h+ and same 67% progress so i think some process hangs with large number of files shares. It is probably related to ACL.
This is a severe issue in a basic service...
ticket:
http://trac.zentyal.org/ticket/7972
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 10:46:58 am by acon »

acon

• Board Moderator
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
Realy strange issue. In the problematic share, i had a folder called "system" with backup of old /etc folders of two previous servers. I saved these folders as reference for some manualy installed services (asterisk...)
I have deleted this folder and now the saving takes aprox 10min, but complete successfuly.
In a working share, you can see in a ssh session how the owner, group and acl are aplied folder by folder.
With this folder in my share, none of the folders are modified. once removed, the folders are modified as expected.
I have no idea what is the problem with this folder.

This is a newly installed 3.3, but i installed over previous lvm volumes where i have deleted everything but the shares folders.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 12:18:54 pm by acon »

one2black

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
I had the same issue on a fresh installed system (Version 3.3.2) without any virtualization. As described Samba stops working at 67%. Waiting for hours or days doesn't help at all. In my case all data/shares (except the system itself) are stored on RAID 10, 4 HDs, each 1 TB.

I had a look at samba.log (/var/log/samba/samba.log) and analyzed the last error occurs when samba stopped working.

I find out two things:
1. The files were for some reason old dated e.g. <1990
2. Or the files were migrated from an old filesystem e.g. FAT with the name convention 8.3. In some cases the file was renamed by some old migrations to e.g. "abcdefg~.doc".

On this old file Samba just stops to work. The solution for me was to copy each file to a new one and rename it. Especially files containing  "~"-Sign.

Files causing this problem on my system were almost documents so they can easily be renamed. I have no issue any more but it cost me several days to find out :-)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 12:31:56 pm by one2black »

acon

• Board Moderator
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
Nice. For me it takes 3 full working days to find the problematic folder.
This is a severe problem. The shares i use was working in 3.0. The problem is from 3.2 on.

vawkes

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2014, 05:09:48 am »
I had the same issue on a fresh installed system (Version 3.3.2) without any virtualization. As described Samba stops working at 67%. Waiting for hours or days doesn't help at all. In my case all data/shares (except the system itself) are stored on RAID 10, 4 HDs, each 1 TB.

I had a look at samba.log (/var/log/samba/samba.log) and analyzed the last error occurs when samba stopped working.

I find out two things:
1. The files were for some reason old dated e.g. <1990
2. Or the files were migrated from an old filesystem e.g. FAT with the name convention 8.3. In some cases the file was renamed by some old migrations to e.g. "abcdefg~.doc".

On this old file Samba just stops to work. The solution for me was to copy each file to a new one and rename it. Especially files containing  "~"-Sign.

Files causing this problem on my system were almost documents so they can easily be renamed. I have no issue any more but it cost me several days to find out :-)

This is the piece of information that allowed me to track down my issue. I too had the "stuck at 67%" issue when trying to make any modifications to my Samba configuration. After digging through Samba's log files I found that certain characters in some file names were causing samba to abort the application of the ACLs or even crash Samba altogether.  The files  that I was trying to share was an achieve of old data that dates back 20 years so it had a whole bunch of different encoding on the file names. So I just used convmv to make sure that all the files names were in unicode. There were quite a few that weren't and after I fix them Samba applied the ACLs without an issue. Here is the command I used. Just make sure you point it to the files you want to convert.

Code: [Select]
convmv -r -f cp1252 -t utf8 --notest ./

I hope this helps someone.