Author Topic: Zentyal 3.2.3, Samba hangs on 67%, doesn't continue to 100%... Any ideas???  (Read 6421 times)

hakunamatata

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Whenever I try to save a new user for the acces control in the shares or when I change the rights and permissions of the file sharing section, the samba module hangs, it never saves to 100%.

The window states:
Saving changes in modules
Current operation: Saving samba module
67% ( hangs at this point... doesn't continue to 100% :-\ )
2 of 3 operations performed

Any Ideas how to solve this?
Help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Lonniebiz

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
Have you updated to zentyal-samba 3.2.6 yet?

hakunamatata

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Nop!

I think I'll do that right away!
I'll inform you if this upgrade solved the problem.

TnX for your quick reply!
Greetings from Amsterdam, The Netherlands

hakunamatata

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
I've downloaded the files https://launchpad.net/~jacalvo/+archive/zentyal/+build/5120537 and upgraded the 3.2.6. samba with the terminal command: "sudo dpkg -i zentyal-samba_3.2.6_all.deb"
but same problem still exist, Samba hangs on 67%, doesn't continue to 100%...

Lonniebiz

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
I updated to it more easily using Zentyal's Web Interface.

I've had a lot of issues with Samba since upgrading to 3.2. At this point, they seem to be fixing some of the issues. I haven't experienced your exact issue and that may be due to some of these steps I did:
http://forum.zentyal.org/index.php?topic=18179.30

However, this my be unrelated to your issue. I hope it turns out to be helpful in some way.

hakunamatata

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Hi Lonniebiz,

Thanks for your suggestion, I've read it and tried it but it didn't work for me.
There was an update in the web interface. I've applied this samba update today but still no solution!  :(

I'm working on it and keep you infromed... stay in touch!

Lonniebiz

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
I wonder if it would save if you deleted users, custom groups, and shares.

Obviously, this may not be practical. If you delete a user, and then add them back later, that user may not be able to consume his previous user-folder (the one created upon logging into a Windows workstation).

The idea is too remove stuff from it until you're able to save 100% and then add things back (saving after each thing you add). This would answer the question "which thing is corrupting samba's ability to save". Or, doing this may lead to it working correctly. Maybe a previous version did some corrupted thing, and the updates are unable to correct that action.

Hopefully, someone will contribute a nicer solution, but since no one has yet, I thought I'd share this painful idea with you  :)

Lonniebiz

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
Today I noticed a new update in the Zentyal Web Interface:
File Sharing and Domain Service 3.2.7.

Got that one yet? Plus, there was a Samba update today too (all can be installed via Zentyal Web Interface).

fmartin

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Not hangs really is slow, if you wait a while, ends well.

You can see a smbd process working while seems it is hanged.

http://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,18276.0.html

Barrydocks

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
I am having a similar problem but with just enabling the file sharing module.  After enabling the module the saving changes stops at 80% - 4 out of 5 operations.

This is a vanilla install of zentyal as a guest on virtualbox, I have tried both the 32bit abs 64bit version with the same problem.  I am currently using zentyal-samba 3,2,8

Zewa

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Zentyal 3.2.3, Samba hangs on 67%, doesn't continue to 100%... Any ideas???
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 08:46:30 pm »
I am having a similar problem but with just enabling the file sharing module.  After enabling the module the saving changes stops at 80% - 4 out of 5 operations.

This is a vanilla install of zentyal as a guest on virtualbox, I have tried both the 32bit abs 64bit version with the same problem.  I am currently using zentyal-samba 3,2,8
Im having the same problem on virtualbox.
The weird thing is i had this problem on my work pc since 3.2 (win7 64bit), tryed like 10 fresh installs on virtualbox, the outcome is the same.
If i do the exact same steps (install zentyal and test it) on my home pc (win7 32bit) it works 100%, i export the virtualbox zentyal image to my other laptop (win xp 32bit), still works 100%, then i took the same copy and tryed on my work pc - its broken...kinda running out of ideas.

BrettonWoods

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 08:56:40 pm »
It would be interesting if people with win7(64) and virtual box could post whether or not this is happening.

Also any other 64bit versions running virtualbox just to see if its a Win7 prob.

I can't help as bare metal but will download and give it a go.

I guess you all have processors with virtual support? Might be good to list processor as well.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 08:59:54 pm by BrettonWoods »

Zewa

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 09:17:16 am »
Was reading more posts about it in the forum and found this post:

http://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,12229.msg50894.html#msg50894

so i tested myself on VMware Player (exported virtualbox image [the same, what was not working]) and now everything works.

Seems to be hardware/virtualbox/something??? problem?

That been said, Zentyal 3.2x is working great on my live server (wihtout any problems so far).

Barrydocks

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 05:00:52 pm »
It would be interesting if people with win7(64) and virtual box could post whether or not this is happening.

Also any other 64bit versions running virtualbox just to see if its a Win7 prob.

I can't help as bare metal but will download and give it a go.

I guess you all have processors with virtual support? Might be good to list processor as well.
I am running virtualbox 4.2.18 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit host
Host hardware is an Quad-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 1352, 4 cores with 8GB RAM and 4x160GB HDD in a software raid10
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 05:09:05 pm by Barrydocks »

BrettonWoods

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 10:06:15 pm »
Was reading more posts about it in the forum and found this post:

http://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,12229.msg50894.html#msg50894

so i tested myself on VMware Player (exported virtualbox image [the same, what was not working]) and now everything works.

Seems to be hardware/virtualbox/something??? problem?

That been said, Zentyal 3.2x is working great on my live server (wihtout any problems so far).

I had forgotten about that. Yeah we hit this in 3.0 and being a windows client apols but I have to work with them swapping to vmware player did the job.

It was as confusing then as it is now. But combinations of virtual box and hardware always pop out with samba.
What confused me the most was it seemed to change over time sometimes working and sometimes not.

Its not the ISO or Zentyal bare metal but somewhere there is this weird virtual problem that is limited to virtualbox.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 10:22:13 pm by BrettonWoods »