Author Topic: GRUB and SATA disks  (Read 2568 times)

luch0

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
GRUB and SATA disks
« on: March 11, 2008, 02:18:09 am »
Hi everybody!
I need a little help. I got a motherboard Asus A7V600-X (Chipset VIA KT600 ans VIA VT8237) and three HDDs, two SATA (320gb) and one IDE (160gb). What I want?
I want install eBox using the three disks, in the IDE disk mount the partitions / , /usr , /var , /tmp and swap partition and with the others disks, I want create a RAID 1 by hardware and mount the partition /home.

My problem is I'm installing eBox with the three HDDs but once finished the installation and reboot the system, GRUB returned ERROR 21 (Selected disk does not exist). Searching in google I found: "This error is returned if the device part of a device- or full file name refers to a disk or BIOS device that is not present or not recognized by the BIOS in the system".This error, apparently, is a known issue with SATA controllers and GRUB but I can't found a solution for fix this with a eBox's installer. I can only test with a sarge's base installer how explains "How to install with new kernel" without much hope because I believe that the problem is in sarge's installer.

This error happens with:
One HDD IDE and one HDD SATA plugged.
One HDD IDE and two HDD SATA plugged with RAID 1 by hardware disabled.
One HDD IDE and two HDD SATA plugged with RAID 1 by hardware enable.

Anyway, somebody got an idea about what can I do? Any suggestion?

Thanks.  ;)

Luis Dalves