Author Topic: help setting up gateway and dhcp  (Read 3455 times)

christian

Re: help setting up gateway and dhcp
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2013, 05:28:22 pm »
Setting 2 different OpenDNS servers as DNS for Zentyal (when Zentyal is cleint, thus in network section) is a good idea.
Enabling cache is a good idea too (why would you need specific FW rules? I'm a bit lost here)

But do not add forwarders, this is useless in your configuration except if you do have internal DNS servers acting as cache to which you can forward.

This forwarders stuff added by Zentyal is really misunderstood (or I'm the one not understanding  ;D) but in the meantime, please trust me and do not set it. It will not prevent DNS to work but it will be slower than local cache.

Are you sure your internet router is acting as DNS server ? with cache ?

schooladminguy

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 05:47:04 pm »
I'm not really sure about my Internet router being a Dns server. It's just a standard adsl modem router.

I was just following one of the how to tutorials.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 05:49:51 pm by schooladminguy »

robb

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 05:51:14 pm »
It probably acts as a DNS cache so you can add it if you wish. What DNS servers did you add in your router? Are those the DNS servers of your provider or did you add other DNS servers?

The most important is to remember that Zentyal acts as a DNS _client_ on the external interface and, if you installed DNS module (you have to if you use File sharing module) it acts as a DNS _server_ on the internal interface.

christian

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 05:57:50 pm »
I'm not really sure about my Internet router being a Dns server. It's just a standard adsl modem router.
So do not set it as external DNS server.

BTW, I was looking at Zentyal documentation, just to be sure I provide you with the right information as I'm not running 3.x and I notice huge improvement regarding Zentyal documentation: "forwarders" is now explain in a way anyone can easily understand.  8)

schooladminguy

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 06:00:44 pm »
DNA server in my modem settings are. 213.120.234.50 and 213.120.234.38

Should I also add these to my network/dns config

christian

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 06:03:53 pm »
It probably acts as a DNS cache so you can add it if you wish. What DNS servers did you add in your router? Are those the DNS servers of your provider or did you add other DNS servers?
That's THE big question: does this router act as DNS server ?
To me the wise approach is to not stack DNS in a useless design. Better to directly point to DNS that is already caching and avoid intermediate DNS servers or directly access to root DNS and cache for internal clients.

The most important is to remember that Zentyal acts as a DNS _client_ on the external interface and, if you installed DNS module (you have to if you use File sharing module) it acts as a DNS _server_ on the internal interface.

I do agree but (there is a big "but" here) is proxy is set as transparent, then Zentyal as DNS client is not used and internal devices will most likely rely on Zentyal DNS server if DHCP pushes it or even directly access internet to resolve names (the worst case).

Notice that Zentyal acting as DNS client should (better) start requesting... itself (as server) if 127.0.0.1 is configured as first DNS in network section  ;)

schooladminguy

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 06:25:04 pm »
ok, i have added the dns ips. internet is working on all clients. i am uploading screenshots of config pages. please tell me if there is anything wrong.

[img=http://s7.postimg.org/c38dbd5fb/dns.jpg]

[img=http://s7.postimg.org/thsljn2k7/modem.jpg]

[img=http://s7.postimg.org/40a701ktz/netdns.jpg]