Author Topic: Jabber - Ubuntu Users can chat, but show offline status to Windows users  (Read 2562 times)

Lonniebiz

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
Using Zentyal 3.2, I've set up Jabber for inter-office communication.

Users that are logged into the domain through a windows workstation are working fine (using pidgin).

However, when an Ubuntu user (using pidgin with the same config settings) connects, the user cannot see the list of others online. Everyone appears to be off-line to the Ubuntu user, be she can still chat to the Windows users showing offline status.

From the Windows user's perspective, Ubuntu users (who are logged in with pidgin using their domain credentials) appear to be offline, but if they set pidgin to show offline users, they can still chat.

Have any of you experienced this? And if so, how did you solve this issue?

So the issue is, that Ubuntu users show offline, when they're actually not.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 11:40:27 pm by Lonniebiz »

Lonniebiz

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
Re: Jabber - Ubuntu Users can chat, but show offline status to Windows users
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 05:47:56 pm »
I'm no longer experiencing this issue.

BrettonWoods

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 05:52:25 pm »
Lonnie there is one thing and would you check this.

If you create a new user with the user template set to no jabber account.
I can't find a way to add a jabber account afterwards.

Also can you disable the jabber accounts if needed?

Lonniebiz

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 06:09:01 pm »
On this particular network, that I've install Zentyal, Microsoft Active Directory is managing the domain controllers.

I originally installed Zentyal 3.0 as an additional domain controller, so that it could provide jabber instant messaging in a manner where they could login with Pidgin using their domain user credentials. I couldn't get it to work at first, because I had the settings wrong in pidgin. Instead of putting the domain.lan as the domain, I was putting in zentyal.domain.lan. After removing "Zentyal", stuff started working.

Also, the additional domain controller didn't correctly replicate LDAP from Microsoft Active Directory until I upgraded to Zentyal 3.2.2.

To answer your question (to some degree), when I add a user using Microsoft Active Directory, that user gets replication to the Zentyal (because Zentyal is set as an additional domain controller). And immediately I'm able to setup pidgin for that user and it works.

You are saying that at first you set up a user with no Jabber account, and now you can't give them one?
Maybe you could try deleting that user, and then adding them back again with Jabber from the get-go?

One thing you must watch out for though is this. Remember the user you create when you installed Zentyal originally? That username is dead as far as LDAP is concerned. You can't add that username to LDAP, and therefore you can't setup chat for that username. That user name is just for logging in to the web interface and CLI. If you try to add that username as a LDAP it will fail, because there's already a /home/user folder for that username dedicated to administrative tasks.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 06:15:55 pm by Lonniebiz »

BrettonWoods

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 06:57:37 pm »
You got it, if you don't have the user template enabled for jabber then there seems to be no way to enable.

The sudo install user is a pain as that is my admin account and this simplsitic sysadmin would like that as a domain admin.

There are a couple of default user/groups missing that I think should be included.

Domain Guests
Enterprise Admins
Group Policy Creators Owners
Schema Admins
Administrator=Sudo user and vice versa

I am using Zentyal as my PDC though.

Lonniebiz

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 07:08:04 pm »
Are you using 3.2.2 yet? It can do more complicated Active directory replication from what I've noticed. In 3.0, it couldn't replicated this network's active directory correctly, but after upgrading to 3.2.2 it looks like it is replicating everything right.

Also, have you filed a bug report on this issue? May they'll fix that pretty quick if you report it. It is probably simple for them to fix.

I don't know what I did originally, but when I add a user, they have jabber enabled by default. I haven't implement Jabber yet in an environment where I actual use Zentyal for user account creation. My only experience for setting up jabber is with the environment I described.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 07:19:13 pm by Lonniebiz »

BrettonWoods

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 03:25:11 am »
I just had a look at the items I forwarded to trac.

Apparently its a desired filter and supposed to be that way?