Author Topic: How do you propagate Samba Permissions on an existing folder?  (Read 2865 times)

Lonniebiz

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
How do you propagate Samba Permissions on an existing folder?
« on: October 04, 2013, 05:24:10 pm »
After I upgraded from 3.0 to 3.2, all samba file shares were completely broken.

To get them working partially, I've had to remove all previously existing file shares (that worked in 3.0), save changes, and recreate them from scratch.

One of my file shares is working, but another one is empty from a network user's perspective.

I've even tried giving users administrative (samba) permission on the file share, but when they go to it, they can't see any files in the shared folder.

From the linux command line, I can see that the files and folders are still located in that shared folder, but I can't give network-users the ability to see them.

Since modifying and saving samba permissions using Zentyal's web interface is ineffective (so far) in 3.2, what are some linux commands I can type to recursively modify the permission and ownership of these files and folders so that network-users can see the shared folder's contents?

Lonniebiz

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
Re: How do you propagate Samba Permissions on an existing folder?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 07:58:07 pm »
I wish someone would answer this post:
http://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,16693.new.html

The Zentyal web interface is horrible at controlling permissions on file shares. If you copy files to a file share using a root account with the linux command line, it undermines the Samba level permissions, and therefore LDAP users cannot inherit those permission while attempting to view a shared folder.

There ought to be something in the Zentyal web interface that allows you to fix the linux level permissions RECURSIVELY for your shares.

There ought to be a button next to each share saying something like this:

Code: [Select]
"Click here to ensure that linux file permission aren't undermining the Samba permissions you've specified for this share folder"!
Actually, there shouldn't even need to be a button. This should be automated; the fact you are making the folder a samba share ought to imply you want the permissions of that folder to adhere to Samba's permissions for your LDAP users, and Zentyal ought to ensure this is achieved automatically.

Ultimately, I ran this command to correct the issue:
Code: [Select]
sudo chown -R username:'__USERS__' /location/of/shared/folder/correct
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 07:59:57 pm by Lonniebiz »

christian

Re: How do you propagate Samba Permissions on an existing folder?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 10:29:00 am »
I wish someone would answer this post:
http://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,16693.new.html

I believe you will get faster and better answers if you do not, as you currently do, multiply post about same topic or very closely related topic.
Debating about Samba access control is interesting but difficult when done in multiple posts in parallel, IMHO  :-\