Author Topic: Resetting of file sharing permissions slows down boot process  (Read 2778 times)

Oliver Sauder

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Resetting of file sharing permissions slows down boot process
« on: October 04, 2013, 03:22:17 pm »
We are using Zentyal 3.2 in production on Ubuntu 12.04.3.

Currently the Zentyal box takes 30 minutes to boot up. I have noticed while starting that the File Sharing/Samba module reset all permissions on the file shares to the configured ones.

Although this is actually a good thing this slows down the boot up process and I am afraid the more data we add to the shares the slower the boot up will get.

I was therefore wondering whether there is a possibility to turn off the automatic resetting of permissions and do it manually instead when needed?

Thanks for your feedback,
Oliver

Lonniebiz

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
Re: Resetting of file sharing permissions slows down boot process
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 04:06:57 pm »
For me, each time I restart samba it fails to connect multiple times before succeeding and this is adding minutes to boot-time and "save changes".

I've submitted a bug report here:
http://trac.zentyal.org/ticket/7436

Oliver Sauder

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 04:22:09 pm »
Overlooked this before apparently. But I also have the same error message in zentyal.log file as well. Let's see what the devs will respond to the ticket then.

Simon

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 07:43:06 am »
May be there will be ability to add checkbox, wich will make zentyal-samba on restart drop ACL on files to default. I think this will be the best decision

Uein

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 06:51:19 am »
This is straight from /etc/zentyal/samba.conf

# Uncomment this if you want to set ACLs manually and avoid
# Zentyal to overwrite them
#unmanaged_acls = yes

restarting zentyal samba after modifying the file should stop zentyal from resetting the permissions on the file shares

markus.neubauer

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 08:59:05 am »
This should not be a show stopper, couldn't it be done in a async way (i.e.Background) without delaying bootup time.

spiral

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 04:43:25 pm »
Interesting I didn't think this was an issue in 3.2 see:

http://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,18294.msg70807.html#msg70807

Spyder

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 09:45:35 am »
I have the same issue with using unmanagedACL, and samba not connecting properly.  There are many reports of Samba failing in Zentyal 3.2 recently.

Currently I am working around the problem, this is a very short term fix, and if Zentyal cannot be corrected, will have no choice but abandon it and install a different distro.  More serious bugs in 3.2 than was 3.0x, which is an option to revert back - even though it had bugs, there were not severe.

Our workaround is turning on and off "unmanaged_acls" whenever we need to make user changes and permission changes.  After doing this and allowing Zentyal Samba to restore all the folder permissions, we run a script that changes them all back to the way we want.  This is a horrible solution, but the only way to get Zentyal to work as we require.

Samba can freeze the system, for us 1-5 minutes.  Often when Samba loads, we find [fail] on the startup, yet we often see it working.  Further, we have also experienced it stopping sharing some folders - access to a folder can be denied a moment after someone access it.  It may also lock up all sharing to Windows system until the user logs off and back on.  However, the individual folder that started it all remains "access denied" permanently - until Zentyal is rebooted (not Samba restarted, as that merely causes a boatload of other errors).

Oliver Sauder

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 08:14:46 pm »
Uncomment unmanaged_acls certainly helped to speed up the boot up process which answers my initial question. Thanks for the hint.

The error message not being able to connect to the LDAP server still remains though which also slows down the boot process.

See here http://trac.zentyal.org/ticket/7436