Author Topic: Zentyal server is replacement for MS SBS ?  (Read 16204 times)

BrettonWoods

Re: Zentyal server is replacement for MS SBS ?
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2013, 01:40:59 pm »
I really like the Zarafa webapp and rate it higher than the M$ one. Sogo have a webapp for openchange but my opinion is that it isn't as good as Zarafa.

There is one thing my clients needed that the Zarafa web app didn't supply and that was to be able to send tasks to other users. You can create tasks but the delegation model isn't there.

So I guess it will all be down to operation and need and rollout options of web based vs desktop.

OPenchange is great news though as a supplier I have seen the benefits to open source but have struggled to sell this at the desktop level.
Having AD and exchange compliance in a box is a massive plus for any alternative to M$ especially if you have used products such as Server Essentials 2012

qsnap

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2013, 11:20:37 am »
i am finding zentyal is the solution for our network, with small business server (25) and paid technical support cost is around 400 pounds/year which will be ok for us. also zarafa plugin will do exchange.  :)

one thing need to clarify that zarafa is like exchange like mail server but what about communication add-on provided by zentyal?
What is difference between communication add-on and zarafa email server, We will be getting avaya telephone system will be configurable with that?

robb

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2013, 12:29:15 pm »
With Zentyal 3.2 the asterisk module has been dropped so I don't think that IPphone is possible.

The Zarafa plugin is the Zarafa license you need to use outlook (MAPI propriety protocol implementation for Outlook)
Zarafa module is with 3 'free' outlook connectors. If you need more you have to buy additional licenses that are available through Zentyal support contract.
If you decide not to use outlook, you don't need them.

qsnap

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2013, 01:23:24 pm »
@robb, i am looking for small B server edition  for 25 peoples and i think you are talking about free community edition? :o
The mail server which comes with zentyal is enough, if i am using Thunderbird mail client? and also can i get push emails on phones? 

as far as my understanding i need to buy communication add-on https://store.zentyal.com/other/communications-add-on.html or zarafa licences. https://store.zentyal.com/other/zarafa-small-business.html

robb

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2013, 05:22:16 pm »
qsnap: You need to understand that if you go for a subscribed version (for instance the SMB version with communication addon) you pay for SUPPORT + some extra benefits. Have a look at the chart at zentyal.com for those differences.

If your goal is to support the server yourself and you don't need the outlook connector for each user, you could do with the community version.

So you need to decide if you NEED or WANT the extra benefits of a subscription.

Keep in mind that SUPPORT contract is something totally different than LICENSE costs you pay for MS Windows.

qsnap

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2013, 06:26:33 pm »
Thanks robb for your comments :) helped alot  :)

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2013, 08:58:07 pm »
On the VOIP front,  the Ubuntu platform is not well supported for "ready to use" asterisk packages. Sure, you can install a working copy of asterisk but you need to be prepared to roll up your sleeves and configure it manually.  Visual Dialplan works nicely here but there is nothing to equal the convenience provided by freebpx,trixbox, or pbxiaf for instance. 

If a small install was my target I might look at a Raspberry PI running PBXIAF (limited testing here).   Larger (more than 50 seats)  I would be looking at a full blown computer with freepbx (Elastix is my favorite variant).

Either way,  I don't think that I would try to keep the gateway married to the pbx ( I ran this way for a few years under Suse and it didn't really work that well).  I chose to run a separate asterisk instance in both environments where I have deployed Zentyal.  Zentyal is a wonderful gateway/email product.  In my opinion the AD controller module is a good addition to the lineup.  Asking it to play a full fledged media gateway (asterisk) as well is asking too much IMHO .

qsnap

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2013, 02:47:07 pm »
guys openchange is released now exchange alternative, has anyone tried with zentyal? 

BrettonWoods

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2013, 03:03:01 pm »
Currently its the 3.3 beta and in development. So dont make any judgements.

A few bleeding edge testers are reporting good results have a look through the forum

qsnap

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2013, 01:49:25 pm »
ohh yes.  :)

Also we may go for Small business service for zentyal. For email server which add-on from zentyal store will be better communication add-on or Zarafa Small Business - User Pack ? 

In communication add-on i can use outlook with IMAP and mobile emails. where in zarafa we can integrate our calenders mails etc exchange way. hope i am thinking it right. :)

rcarney

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2013, 09:14:10 pm »
I am trying to get M$ outlook to connect to Zentyal 3.2 32-bit.  I configured it and the webaccess login works fine and I can send and get email.  Next, I downloaded Zarafa 7.x.x plugin and installed it on the client.  I guess from responses above I should have 3 licenses by default.  But I am getting a no connection error message.  I turned off mail imap settings and turned them on in Groupware.

Any ideas as to the problem?  Or some steps to properly configure for the outlook?

Thanks,

Ron

w00dmAn

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2013, 01:51:42 am »
Hi guys,

I'm going to replace my old SBS 2003 and I need an advice

Are you suggest to use Zentyal 3.0 (during 3.2 version is not stable and have an issue with Samba)
or an alternative like ClearOS

Anybody got a research what is better for production server?

Thanks a lot for yours advices!

regards,
Alex