Author Topic: USB Drive or Second Hardisk not auto mount.  (Read 4000 times)

jschong

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
USB Drive or Second Hardisk not auto mount.
« on: October 09, 2012, 04:52:59 am »
Hi, I just setup the new Zentyal 3.0 and found out that after the setup:
-when I plugged in my second hardisk (2TB) it doesn't show the disk icon in the File Explorer (/media) as previous version
-same as when I plugged in my USB Thumb Drive it doesn't show up in the File Explorer (/media).

But if I use the command: ls - l /dev/disk/by-uuid/ I can see the drives are all in the list.
Need help and advice on this. Many thanks!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 07:47:44 am by jschong »

jschong

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: USB Drive or Second Hardisk not auto mount.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 04:13:54 am »
Dear all, it has been a year now since I posted this question and I still don't get any respond from fellow members here. ??? Today, I installed the 3.2.3 version still without any luck. Can somebody guide me please? Many thank!  :)

toolman1967

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 05:50:19 am »
Jschong,

When I need to access my USB thumb drives from my Zentyal, I install usbmount using apt-get install command. 

Toolman

jschong

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 02:26:11 pm »
Hi toolman1967, thank you very much for the reply. I'm still waiting for the solutions of mounting my secondary hardisk. If really no solution for this, I may have to go back to version 2.2.7 again.  :'(

jschong

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 05:02:08 am »
Hi all, after a few tries here and there. I managed to discover several things. I installed gparted and got the info where my secondary hardisk file system is NTFS which it doesn't come with Zentyal 3.2. So I installed ntfsprogs.

Then I tried manually mount by using the mount switch. The details step are as bellow:
- I create a folder which I named it "Data" under the path /media/Data
- Then I run the command mount /dev/sda1 where sda1 is my secondary hardisk

Everything seems perfect until this stage. So I went to the Zentyal administrator dashboard to enable my File Sharing by adding new share to point to my newly mounted hardisk which in my case here is /media/Data/ instead of the usual default location at: /home/samba/shares.

Now I got the error message as bellow:
The mount point "/media/Data" must be mounted with 'acl' option. This is required for permissions to work properly.

How do I mount with acl option? Thanks!

BrettonWoods

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 05:07:20 am »
I guess you will have to add it to fstab.

i would do a bit of googling for fstab and ntfs drives as i have never used ntfs with zentyal or ubuntu to be honest.

fstab is in /etc and contains all the disk mounts.

jschong

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 06:49:08 am »
Thanks for the reply BrettonWoods, I'm googling now. My original line are as bellow but with no luck so far.
UUID=5F2BFC6A0836A68C   /media/Data   ntfs   acl   0   2

ian

• Community Council Member
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Familie site
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 06:49:00 pm »
If Zentyal is installed with the zentyal installation cd ( created from the iso file ), Then the LXDE ligth weigth destop is not compleet installed, the options for USB drives and NTFS disks are not showed in the PCManFM file manager.

To solve this install ntfs-3g ( normal installed by zentyal ).
Adapt the file /etc/fstab and put the last line in comment.

The PCManFM ( file manager ) works only correct with NTFS file systems and USB external drives if you install the following software ( as root )

apt-get install gvfs-backends
apt-get install gvfs-fuse

Now the file manager recognize USB drives an NTFS file systems.

Best regards,
Ian

jschong

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 06:26:05 am »
Hi ian, thanks for the reply.
It seems like ntfs-3g is already installed when I execute the line sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g
However, both gvfs-backends and gvfs-fuse were not installed, thus, I installed them.

Now, there is one instruction from your reply that I do not understand. "Adapt the file /etc/fstab and put the last line in comment." Can I understand it as place the line:
UUID=5F2BFC6A0836A68C   /media/Data   ntfs   acl   0   2
at the very last line in file /etc/fstab and make sure there's no empty line after this?

Many thanks!

ian

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Familie site
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 10:56:56 am »
Hi,

It means put a hastag # at the begin of the last line in the file fstab, but it is not realy needed.
It works whithout comment out this line.

Best regards,
Ian

jschong

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 01:26:49 am »
Hi ian, Thanks for the reply.

This has been tested and doesn't work for my case. Same error message asking to mount with "acl" option. Plus one more different, that's when I try to create new folder from File Manager at the mount point "/media/Data" it doesn't allowed me to do so.

Now I suspect NTFS file system maybe is not supported with "acl" mount option? Really wonder why v2.3 features didn't bring forward to this new v3.2. Otherwise thing will be so much easier for Windows user like me...

Regards,
jschong

ian

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Familie site
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 10:24:09 am »
Hi,

The description i gave was to see external USB drives or sticks in the file manager of LXDE, not to make shares on the external drives.

Best regards,
Ian

jschong

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 01:34:25 pm »
Hi ian, Thanks for the reply.

Just for your info, my previous mounting method can see the drive as well. Only problem is "acl" error message. Anyway, thanks for your help and since I can't find any solutions, I've decided once again to go back to the old version...

Regards,
jschong

frankboon83

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 10:32:53 am »
Hey

jschong I know you've posted you will be switching to the old version but I have stumbled upon the same problem - zentyal 3.2 - and in my case the fstab config line looks like
UUID=[my disk] /mnt ntfs-3g acl,defaults 0 0
and it not only mounts where it should - in this case the root mnt dir - but is also visible after sharing.
Of course as suggested by others I have also installed the ntfs-3g, fuse and backend packages.

Hope this will help someone.