Author Topic: How to Resolve External Host Names with Zentyal DNS  (Read 14465 times)

peterpugh

Re: How to Resolve External Host Names with Zentyal DNS
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 09:36:23 pm »
I do what Robb does. Often my services and applications are internal. From a security standpoint when it comes to business web apps its a vpn even though web based.

Some of my internal web apps are webmin, civicrm, tigercrm did have a go with openbravo.

My external webapps are the more common joomla, oxwall, wordpress affairs.

In fact my only external service that I have is a security cam service on one installation.

At my level I get some customers who trade under a few names and have a few external websites but not many.

Christian maybe if you can explain as like robb says I just use my domain registrars dns settings. My preference in the uk is 123reg.co.uk as the dns control panel is very easy.
I have found some other where DNS control is separate and chargeable!?!

I have never moved up a level and please forgive my ignorance but I thought you had to have a registered authoritative DNS that is accredited by ICANN (is that right?) or one of its affiliates. Well I presumed you just couldn't slap one on the net.

I don't know that is why I am asking its nothing to do with the ("The Previous" if you know what I mean) as I am interested.

The external DNS and getting reverse DNS pointers from my ISP is the furthest I have even gone with external DNS.
It worked so I never explored other avenues.

Is this part of HA as I am unsure how "floating ip's" would work with external interfaces?

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 10:13:23 pm by peterpugh »