Author Topic: deja-dup does not work with 3.3  (Read 1969 times)

stm999999999

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
deja-dup does not work with 3.3
« on: December 24, 2013, 03:15:52 am »
Hi!

I had a zentyal test server with v3.2 and I installed via apt-get deja-dup to get a graphical interface to the backups from the backup modul. Everything worked fine.

I updatet my test server to 3.3.2, all ok.

But then I installed a new zentyal with 3.3 iso - now I get "Failed with an unknown error" after "restore"?

Any idea what the problem could be?

(btw, when I give deja-dup an empty directory as the backup dir, I got "no backups there" - now I get the error s.o.)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 03:17:24 am by stm999999999 »

Lonniebiz

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
Re: deja-dup does not work with 3.3
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 05:49:18 am »
Perhaps uninstalling it and reinstalling it would fix it?

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get remove deja-dup
sudo apt-get install deja-dup

I believe deja-dup uses duplicity under the hood, so perhaps you'd still be able to restore archived files using the command line in the meantime?

You can backup easily using duplicity at the command line to make a backup:

Code: [Select]
duplicity --no-encryption --verbosity 8 /home/user/folder/to/backup/ file:///home/user/destination/to/store/backup/
The first time you run this command, it will do a full backup, and each time there after it will notice that there is already a full back up at that destination and do an archived backup instead.

I have cron job script that runs a command like this, except I've got it to where it always backs up to a folder named after the current month and year. This causes it to do a full backup the first day of every month and then archive for the rest of that month, until the destination folder changes to the current month (next month).

stm999999999

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: deja-dup does not work with 3.3
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 09:06:53 pm »
Perhaps uninstalling it and reinstalling it would fix it?

btdt, no effect

I believe deja-dup uses duplicity under the hood, so perhaps you'd still be able to restore archived files using the command line in the meantime?

yes. And it is no problem to use command line or the zentyal web interface. But with deja-dup it is much more comfortable.

I have cron job script that runs a command like this, except I've got it to where it always backs up to a folder named after the current month and year. This causes it to do a full backup the first day of every month and then archive for the rest of that month, until the destination folder changes to the current month (next month).

for backup I am very happy with the zentyal built in version of duplicity. No need for doing this by hand / with an own cron script.

It is only about restore.

and I do not unterstand, why it worked on 3.2 and even on an first-3.2-then-updated-to-3.3 server but not on an fresh-clean-3.3-installation.

BTW, happy XMas!