Author Topic: [SOLVED] Add OpenChange to existing server  (Read 1576 times)

GarthK

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Add OpenChange to existing server
« on: December 22, 2013, 02:18:43 pm »
I have two Z3.3 DCs in an AD that appear to be working. I would like to add OpenChange/WebMail to one of the servers. Anyone had any experience doing this? They're both VMs so I intend to snapshot both before I start so I can easily roll back and try again but any helpful hints would be appreciated.

Thanx,
Garth
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 05:26:25 pm by GarthK »

GarthK

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Add OpenChange to existing server
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 03:56:14 pm »
I added OpenChange (and Mail) to the second server in the AD and all seemed to install correctly. However, when I tried to enable an existing account in the OpenChange section, a red pop-up would occur stating that an internal software error had occurred. I then changed the User Template to auto create/enable OpenChange whenever a new user was created and the same pop-up showed up during the process of creating the new user. The account was created but not enabled for OC. I've since snapped the VM back to pre-OC and will have another try. If the results are the same, I'll reply again and include the Z logs.

See ya...

GarthK

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Add OpenChange to existing server
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 02:02:37 pm »
So, I shut off the second DC and snapped the first box back to standalone and installed OC. No probs. I checked an existing account and it was properly OC enabled. I set OC to enable new accts by default and created a new test acct. While it didn't enable automatically, I was able to enable it manually.

I've snapped both servers back to where they were both DCs in the AD and checked repl with drs showrepl and all looks good. I'll have a try at adding OC to the BDC again and see what happens.

Any hints welcome.

More later...

GarthK

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Re: Add OpenChange to existing server
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 05:24:31 pm »
I remembered reading that most AD changes (new users, groups,...) must be done on the PDC. In particular, I remembered this when I created new users and groups on the BDC and they never replicated to the PDC. So, I snapped both boxes back to just after a clean join of the BDC to the AD and did the OC install on the PDC instead and most everything worked just fine. Existing users became OC-enabled but I still had to enable new users even tho I had set the option to auto-enable new users. That's NBD IMHO.

Time to continue playing.

See ya...