Author Topic: No keyboard or mouse or picture for Virtual computers  (Read 1884 times)

bertalanimre

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
No keyboard or mouse or picture for Virtual computers
« on: August 29, 2013, 09:15:15 am »
Hy guys,

I have a question that is bothering me. I'm using the latest Zentyal and trieing to install a virtual machine.

I set it up nicely and when I start to boot it up ( for example trieing to install Ubuntu ) I notice that in Chrome I can't use the keyboard. I can click on buttons but that's all. On firefox the same happens. But on Konqueror I can use the keyboard, but not the mouse! Opera just can't handle any of them, it doesn't even have a picture. Cal you please tell me what could possibly wrong?

ATM I have no chance to test it with IE and it doesn't matter for the server what type of OS am I trieing to run on it.

Oh, and another problem. Windows 7 keeps telling me that there is no HDD in the (virtual) computer. It can't find any driver for it. Waiting for your sollutions or tipps.

Thanks in advance!

bertalanimre

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Re: No keyboard or mouse or picture for Virtual computers
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 06:57:05 pm »
Nobody has any idea?

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 08:45:19 pm »
I can get you part of the way.  To get Windows clients working you need to edit /etc/zentyal/virt.conf the line

Code: [Select]
# Uncomment this to use always IDE disks instead of SCSI ones
#use_ide_disks = yes
change to
# Uncomment this to use always IDE disks instead of SCSI ones
use_ide_disks = yes

This is a global change that will effect any virtual machines created after the changes are made.  You can also edit existing machines by editing
/var/lib/zentyal/machines/<name-of-my-virtual-machine>/domain.xml
where it says:

<disk type='file' device='disk'>
            <driver name='qemu' type='qcow2'/>
            <target dev='sda' bus='scsi'/>

To say:
            <driver name='qemu' type='qcow2'/>
            <target dev='sda' bus='ide'/>

I have played around with using virt-manager to handle virtual machines on 2.2 but have never really been able to devote the time to working the kinks out of the Zentyal virtual machine implementation.  I have gone a different direction making it moot for my purposes  (I run Zentyal virtualized under Proxmox instead). I too had the problems that you are experiencing with the interface not working.   I have found that rebooting the machine while the vnc console is up allows keyboard and mouse interaction.

My two cents ...

bertalanimre

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 09:10:39 am »
Thanks man. These suggestions were nice, but did not solve the problem with the Windows install. I've checked the config file of the existing virtual machine too, and there was:

<driver name='qemu' type='qcow2'>
     <target dev='sda' bus='sata'>

Sata is not good for Win7? Strage for me. For bus type: ide, sata, scsi ... none of them works.

UPDATE: If I try to set both the CD-ROM and the HDD to ide in the domain.xml then the virtual machine doesn'T even start up. In the log file I can see this:

Error output: error: Failed to create domain from /var/lig/zentyal/Machines/Win7/domain.xml
 error: internal error process exited while connecting to monitor: kvm: -drive file=/var/lib/zentyal/machines/Win7/HDD1.img,if=none,id=drive-ide0-0-0,format=qcow2: Duplicate ID 'drive0-0-0' for drive

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he yelling about the fact that he gave the same ID for both the HDD and the CD-ROM?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:46:55 am by bertalanimre »

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 02:14:32 pm »
I just noticed a problem in what I typed,  scsi,sata etc are sda,sdb,sdc etc.  IDE is hda,hdb,hdc etc.  Target device should be hda on the first disk and hdb on the second.

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 04:36:32 pm »
As to your SATA question,  I vaguely recall a problem with Windows guests under older versions of kvm not wanting to boot on any disk but ide.  This was back in the spring and has been fixed now.  This may be lingering for Zentyal since they don't always keep their packages in synch with upstream.  Try IDE and take care to adjust the target and bus statements appropriately.

Note- If you make any changes via the web interface it re-writes the xml file undoing your changes.

Note2-  I finally figured out how to reliably get keyboard access to the VM (haven't tested this with mouse)  instead of clicking on the virtual machines display, click just below it on the popup frame (the white area directly below the virtual display).

bertalanimre

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 12:29:44 pm »
Thanks mate. Will try all of them now and I'll let you know today.  :)

bertalanimre

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 03:19:09 pm »
OK, not today .... had other stuff to do, but hopely I'll get to it tomorrow.