Author Topic: PPTP, Virtualization, Thin client and VoIP modules moved to Contrib Repository  (Read 18908 times)

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Considering the Zentyal asterisk module's "some assembly required" labeling was a bit of an understatement,  what exactly are you missing by not managing asterisk via the Zentyal GUI? 

I don't have a complicated setup at work.  I only have 3 queues and 27 DID's to manage with only 10 holiday closings to be concerned with.  I have 3 IVR menus but 2 of them don't see too much use.

As I said,  this is a simple setup and I couldn't see myself managing it with just the tools provided by Zentyal.

estebanldu

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
El modulo de voip me parece que fue una mala decision y espero que pronto encuentre una nueva y mejor solucion para suplantar a este modulo, creo que asterisk le hacia completo a zentyal y no existia la necesidad de implementar otro servidor de voip como elastix o uno de asterisk ya que zentyal lo tenia todo.
Espero que vuelvan a agregar ese modulo.
Saludos

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
El modulo de voip me parece que fue una mala decision y espero que pronto encuentre una nueva y mejor solucion para suplantar a este modulo, creo que asterisk le hacia completo a zentyal y no existia la necesidad de implementar otro servidor de voip como elastix o uno de asterisk ya que zentyal lo tenia todo.
Espero que vuelvan a agregar ese modulo.
Saludos

Unless an individual is an asterisk expert, setting up and managing anything more than a handful of extensions with no dialplan to speak of would be a nightmare.  I have been using asterisk for 10 years and up til recently developed my dialplans with no tools other than a text editor.  Zentyal's target market would have considerably less experience than I and I would have difficulty maintaining anything more than moderately complicated.  Tools such as Elastix lower the barriers to implementing VOIP.

Paulxx

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Well I did what you suggested half-life. Hours of learning and implementing asterisk with freepbx/elastix. It all works fine on a server outside the zentyal one. I managed to get Zentyal L2TP working too - why on earth does it not just create its own network like PPTP and Openvpn?

Though everything is working, the only thing I like that zentyal voip did not have is the simple elastix call rates and billing report. A2billing is overkill, in fact, the whole thing is massive overkill, counter intuitive and lacking in sensible defaults. It is designed for big call centres with full time staff not small business needs.

I miss Zentyal voip and since zentyal asterisk was relatively lightweight on resources, prefered the inbuilt security of everything in one server - even though I use VPN now. I am probably going to try and get freepbx on the zentyal server next, but I have used it through elastix and it is even worse.The only thing I would miss is that quick elastix per user call cost report but could probably get that using excel.

Zentyal-voip was basically the only option available to anyone who did not have the time, inclination or need to learn asterisk in depth and just wanted something clean and simple that works out of the box... ie. most small businesses.

dienteperro

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
I would like to have again the VoIP module in future versions of Zentyal. Is a great feature for small companies like ours. Long life to Zentyal with asterisk voip module on it!

christian

I would like to have again the VoIP module in future versions of Zentyal.

Is there anything preventing yo to install VoIP software of your choice and benefit from its full features ?