Poll

Please, choose the most critical environment where you have installed eBox Platform so far:

1. Home Server
2. Non-profit service
3. Own organization - test environment
4. Own organization - production environment
5. Customer's premises
6. Other (please specify below)

Author Topic: Usage of eBox Platform  (Read 12908 times)

andrea.canesi

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Usage of eBox Platform
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2009, 04:13:46 pm »
Hi. I'm using ebox on 2 of 3 server on my small network (40 clients, about 900 users).
Firewall/proxy for all the network, pdc/file server for students and teachers. Administrative network needs security policies that ebox 1.0 can't configure. I'm planning to switch to v1.2.

Mammut

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2009, 11:16:13 am »
I am using ebox on a Mini-ITX-Board (Jetway) with nearly all components. Its the best server i have found.
What am i missing is:
  • Using lokal Groups with ebox-Desktop.
  • NFS Support.
  • Better Integration for pure Linux Environment.
  • Configuration for Anti-SPAM in the User Corner

What is for me the best:
  • The configuration for the Firewall.
  • Configuration email-server

JMan

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2009, 01:31:57 pm »
All of the above comments resonated with my own experience, so I won't give a repeat of it. I've used a range of appliance routers (e.g., IPCop, Untangle) and I've had to tear down eBox a couple of times when I couldn't configure it to do what I needed. I'm getting ready to see if the current release will be a better fit.

- I'm no longer filtering email, as I'm routing through Postini (the rates are cheap enough).
- I would recommend some standard configurations for SOHO/SMB:
    - Easy LAN segmentation (DMZ, internal, external, wifi)
    - Default setups, which provide nearly everything to get started and clear areas for configuration.
    - VPN is becoming more common for mobile professionals, and it's always been frustrating to configure.

Saturn2888

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2009, 01:09:45 pm »
All of the above comments resonated with my own experience, so I won't give a repeat of it. I've used a range of appliance routers (e.g., IPCop, Untangle) and I've had to tear down eBox a couple of times when I couldn't configure it to do what I needed. I'm getting ready to see if the current release will be a better fit.

- I'm no longer filtering email, as I'm routing through Postini (the rates are cheap enough).
- I would recommend some standard configurations for SOHO/SMB:
    - Easy LAN segmentation (DMZ, internal, external, wifi)
    - Default setups, which provide nearly everything to get started and clear areas for configuration.
    - VPN is becoming more common for mobile professionals, and it's always been frustrating to configure.

On the WiFi note, RNDIS compatibility is only in later versions of Ubuntu so I cannot test it with eBox myself, but that's one amazing solution I'd also love to see.

poderoxo

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2009, 05:55:06 pm »
Hi!

i use Ebox on "test environment", and my home server, hmmm.
i wanna multiple choice.

javivazquez

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2009, 12:13:53 am »
Would like's for Ebox:
  • Do easy traffic shaping. Only have one internet connection, but I would like to be able to prioritize traffic (e.g. http before ftp

Actually, we have a specific ebox-l7-protocols module for layer7 protocols traffic shaping. However, it needs a patched kernel and iptables, both included within the eBox installer though.

Therefore, if you want to enjoy traffic shaping for those protocols, you just have to deploy eBox using the installer and select ebox-l7-protocols (included in the gateway).

Hope it helps.

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2009, 01:21:12 am »
Hi!

i use Ebox on "test environment", and my home server, hmmm.
i wanna multiple choice.

There is no multiple choice because the question asks for the most critical environment where you have deployed ebox. So I suppose that if your test environment is inside your company, that's more critical than in your home ;)

Regards,

J. A. Calvo
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

dragonslayr

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2009, 07:01:00 pm »
samba pdc

Elliott

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2009, 07:04:59 pm »
Just a reminder... there's another poll that get's a little more specific over in THIS THREAD

whwi

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2009, 08:25:17 am »
I had selected "others" in the vote (e-poll).
Due to the limitation of the vote (e-poll) selection,
actually I am testing as / I had installed in a Production Environment as :-
[1.] my Master Home Server,
[2.] my own/self company's future possible Solution as ICT Solution Provider,
[3.] my own/self company's future possible Solution as ICT Development Consultant/Provider.

I love E-Box.

As for requesting few (new) features :-
[1.] PDC-BDC (this is on experimental in 1.3, and hopefully as final in 1.4 by then),
[2.] SSO to secure logon to Samba-LDAP-VPN full integration (could be the same / similar to feature 1 as above),
[3.] HA (High Availability) & Clustering (Load-Balancing).

My ICT experience is 17-years of ICT Desktop's / Laptop's / Network's / Server's Hardware & Software Technician / Engineer / Administrator / Programmer / Analyst / (ITIL v3) Architect / Designer.

I am still in the "testing" phases (make notes of linking GUI-based configurations to CLI-based actual file updates) for all the major features of E-Box.
I had tested against "Webmin" in most major types of OSes, such as openSUSE, Fedora, Ubuntu (and other Debian), CentOS, Mandriva, openSolaris, and other UNIX-based / POSIX-based operating systems (such as families of BSD operating systems, e.g. FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, PC-BSD).

Due to my ICT work's tight schedules, I think it is better for me to read further on any of the documentation(s) available, to fully take advantages of the features and to take Centralised notes. Currently my notes are scattered around.

Cheers,
whwi,
Brunei Darussalam.

nachico

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Learning To Fly
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2009, 01:40:10 pm »
Hi everyone,

thanks a lot for your votes and your comments. I think this poll was a great success as during the past six weeks more than 10% of the forum members casted their votes.

The poll depicts a community swarming with IT professionals who use eBox in pretty critical environments. I was particularly surprised by the fact that more than 10% use it to deliver services to their customers and around 50% deploy it in their own organizations.

The comments showed also a lot of interest in the master/slave feature already available at 1.3 and some demands on releasing new documentation, which was actually already released and available at http://doc.ebox-platform.com/ There were also some requests about improving usability and having a better backup, which we are currently working on. There seems to be a lot of interest in integrating single sign on in eBox, which is currently not in the roadmap. Anyway, we are taking good note of your suggestions.

I proceed then to close the poll and I will soon open a new one. Thanks again.
CEO at Zentyal