Author Topic: Configure Network Interface on the shell.  (Read 2507 times)

iltasu

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Configure Network Interface on the shell.
« on: March 05, 2008, 03:45:03 pm »
Hallo everyone,
I'm testing a bit ebox, it looks really good, now I'm testing it on a virtual machine server, it installed as a guest os really easly, now I wan't to assign a static ip address to the eth0 interface and I would like to know how to do it using the shell (you know, I love to have the complete control of my servers, what if some day I cannot use the web interface?), but it seems that the /etc/network/interfaces file is not read, I put all the classic infos in it, I can ifdown eth0 (that I found surprisingly already set to 10.0.2.15) and ifup it again, and in this way, the interface takes the values stated in the network interfaces file, but they do not survive a reboot, I mean, what I've written into the interfaces file is still there, but the eth0 interface shows again as 10.0.2.15 via ifconfig.
Where are stored those infos? How can I setup the network manually using the shell?

Thanks for all the answers! ^_^
Gabriele

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
Re: Configure Network Interface on the shell.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 09:13:22 am »
The configuration files are stored in GConf independently from the used platform.

To access and change the values stored using the shell, you need to use gconftool tool. Before that, you need to give the user ebox a shell by executing this command as root:
Code: [Select]
$ chsh ebox
Once you entered to the system as ebox, you can check all the configuration settings can be overlooked by running this command as ebox user:
Code: [Select]
$ gconftool -R /ebox

I hope this helps
My secret is my silence...