Author Topic: eBox for a large scale deployment (a really nasty bug)  (Read 1770 times)

alemartini

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
eBox for a large scale deployment (a really nasty bug)
« on: December 01, 2009, 01:48:09 am »
Hi, I'm evaluating eBox for a large scale deployment at a local university campus. I've suggested eBox since I'm convinced that it's the best tool for managing our server infrastructure. Not only because of its ease of use and outstanding feature set, but also because of the team behind it and the professional services offered by the company. Meanwhile, other colleagues are evaluating competing products, and before the end of this year we have to report to the IT manager and make a decision.

I'd really want eBox to be the chosen tool, and I'm trying to do my best towards that goal. However, there's a catch. We have a policy that states that all our production servers must run Debian stable and nothing else (btw, that's a policy with which I totally agree, but even if I didn't, I'm not in a position to change it).

So, how could I deploy eBox (and services managed through it) without having to install Ubuntu (which I'm not even allowed to do on virtual instances)? Having that restriction, I thought about trying to make it work from an Ubuntu Hardy chroot environment (hosted on a Lenny server).

Unfortunately, so far I've been unsuccessful, mainly because of "A really nasty bug" (you can see all the technical details of this isue on my previous post).

So, before trying to pursue an unattainable goal, I'd like to know if what I'm trying to do is possible or not. What do you think? Would this approach work? Are there any other methods to set up eBox on Debian stable (which don't involve running virtual instances of Ubuntu)?

I'd really appreciate any tips that you can share on this matter.

Thanks in advance,
Alex
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 01:52:44 am by alemartini »

isaac

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: eBox for a large scale deployment (a really nasty bug)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 02:07:54 am »
As I replied in your other post, eBox uses upstart and upstart doesn't work inside a chroot, so that way doesn't look too good.

On the other hand, eBox should work in lenny with just a few modifications, especially if you are just interested in a few modules like in this case. I would encourage you to just install the libebox and ebox packages for Hardy in Lenny, see what happens and report back any problem with that (you'll need upstart from experimental too). Once that's working install one by one the other modules and report here if they give any problems and we'll help you out with them.

Cheers!