Author Topic: Configuring ebox jabber  (Read 5729 times)

Sam Graf

Re: Configuring ebox jabber
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 03:28:18 pm »
Well, this is interesting -- and encouraging.

I set up Pidgin for an eBox Jabber account on a computer I use, where Pidgin is already in use. Then I installed Pidgin on another computer, and set up another user. Both are XP machines, both are using the same (current) version of Pidgin.

Here's the interesting part. I can see "me" on the other computer in a perfectly normal fashion; online, just as normal. On my computer, the test user appears off line and "not authorized." But it's possible to IM between both machines. So it does work, but not exactly as one would expect if for no other reason than that Pidgin (or Windows) is behaving differently on a per machine basis for the eBox Jabber account only.

So progress is being made. Now if I can sort out the off line/not authorized thing (which will just confuse people on the network), I'm home! :) Thanks for everybody's patience and helpfulness.

Sam Graf

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 05:50:23 pm »
What is the safest way to "start fresh" with Jabber on a machine already in production? I've done that with Pidgin on the XP boxes but problems persist. I'm thinking maybe I hosed up Jabber with earlier tinkering. In any case, I'd like to start fresh.

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 03:46:26 am »
The pidgin configuration is already on the documentation:

http://doc.ebox-platform.com/en/jabber.html#setting-up-a-jabber-client

About the "start fresh" thing, I'm sorry but I can't understand you (probably because my english is very bad :P)

The "not authorized" stuff it's a very common problem, it also happens often to me with another servers (even google talk). The solution usually is to re-add your friend or ask him/her to re-add you. In some clients there is also a "request authorization" option.

Regards,

J. A. Calvo
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

Sam Graf

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 02:05:08 pm »
Your English is MUCH better than my Spanish. :)

The documentation recommended earlier is different. There, the server address is blank and the reason it was blank in my setup. ;)

I use Pidgin only with MSN (for a year or so) and have never had to re-authenticate a buddy, so this is new to me.  But I want to start as if Jabber was a clean install because now I get a 404 not found when trying to re-authenticate or re-add a user. I am thinking that in my playing around I have somehow "lost" at least some Jabber users and cannot re-add them to Pidgin. So my question was about the safest way to clean up the configuration/installation as if Jabber was a clean install. Sorry I wasn't clearer. :-[

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2009, 02:27:37 pm »
Ok, I can understand you now.

First of all, the re-authenticate problem comes always with the Jabber protocol (maybe due to slightly different implementations on the client), so it's normal that you didn't have any problem with MSN.

For the fresh start, I recommend you to execute "apt-get remove --purge jabber.*" and then "apt-get install ebox-jabber".

Hope this helps!

Regards,

J. A. Calvo

Sam Graf

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2009, 05:59:11 pm »
Executing apt-get remove --purge jabber.* attempts to remove 37 packages -- looks like most or all of eBox. Am I understanding you correctly that this is safe? :)

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2009, 06:03:23 pm »
Mmm... most of eBox, maybe it's becuase the jabber event dispatcher. Try with "apt-get remove --purge jabberd.*" that should only remove the jabber server and ebox-jabber related packages. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,

J. A. Calvo

Sam Graf

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2009, 06:14:49 pm »
No inconvenience at all. And after all, I think I might be the one who messed it up in the first place.

Four packages this time: ebox-all*, ebox-communication*, ebox-jabber*, and jabberd2* -- which sounds safe to me but thought I'd better check.

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2009, 07:03:44 pm »
ebox-communication and ebox-all are metapackages that depends on several ebox packages, so if you remove one of them the metapackage gets remove, but this is not harmful at all, you can remove it safely.

Sam Graf

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2009, 12:35:27 am »
The reinstall went without problem. At first I was still getting 404s. Then it all started working. I don't know why, but that's OK. Thank you again for your help and patience.

One more question, if I may: Is it possible to connect across a VPN? If so, what would be the correct procedure? I tried making sure that the LAN and VPN subnets could communicate across the firewall on the appropriate ports (5222 and 5269) but it's not working.

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2009, 01:17:09 pm »
Could you give us more data? When you say it's not working, which is the error message do you get?

Sam Graf

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2009, 04:54:54 pm »
No errors. Pidgin just waits to connect. I don't think it's a case of the server not being reachable (we use eGroupware served from the same machine across the VPN connection, for example), but I could very easily be missing something Jabber/Pidgin need beyond reaching the server, something to do with authentication perhaps. As time permits I'll play around some more, to see what I can learn.

jsalamero

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2009, 05:21:01 pm »
from the client, check with nmap the ports on the server are open. could you post a screenshot of your client configuration ? what did you set ssl option to in the jabber module ?

Sam Graf

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2009, 05:01:45 pm »
Sorry, Nmap apparently won't install on my notebook -- fails every time at the Visual C++ installation part. Pidgin screen shots are on page 1, with the difference that the "Connect server" field is filled in (the address at the remote end of the VPN). SSL is set to "Optional" in the Jabber module.

Sam Graf

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2009, 03:00:50 pm »
Finally got back to this and sorted my mistake with Nmap installation (the Visual C++ package has to be downloaded and installed separately). At the client end of the VPN, Nmap does not report 5222 as being open on the VPN/Jabber server. Neither is it closed. Jabber works on the server's home LAN but connections are not successful across the VPN connection.