Author Topic: Configuring ebox jabber  (Read 5750 times)

jason_xtreme

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Configuring ebox jabber
« on: August 12, 2009, 08:13:16 pm »
I've followed all the instructions i can find but cant seem to get the jabber service in 1.2 to work with my clients.
They are stuck in connection mode. I can see that changes i make take effect such as SSL and domain name but i cant get anyone connected. anyone else here has had a similar problem?

Sam Graf

Re: Configuring ebox jabber
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 08:30:42 pm »
Yes, if you're talking about people on the internal network being able to use Jabber -- "interoffice IM." That was something that the developers had targeted to be "fixed" after 1.0, if I understood right, and I looked forward to that, but I haven't able to get it to work yet either.

jason_xtreme

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 10:15:39 pm »
Thank you ill just try to get openfire working again. wasnt a watse tho I learnt alot trying to figure out what was going wrong :)

jsalamero

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile

Sam Graf

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 03:03:46 pm »
Yes, and that's an excellent document. Thank you.

I haven't given up (I could easily be doing something wrong) because this is a functionality I had "sold" to the boss back with 1.0. Still, it's true that I haven't been able to get it to work. So far, it behaves like I remember 1.0 behaving. You can see members of the domain, but you can't communicate with them. I'll need more time to give it a more careful going over.

jsalamero

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 09:53:20 am »
just tried again with ebox-jabber 1.2 and psi 0.12.1-2 and works like a charm. could you post your jabber client version and attach an screenshot of the configuration ?

Sam Graf

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 04:54:54 am »
If you don't mind, I'd like to start troubleshooting at the beginning. Pidgin reports that it can't resolve the default Jabber domain "ebox." So the first problem "out of the box" is that "ebox" can't be resolved.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 05:54:17 am by Sam Graf »

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 08:26:27 pm »
If I remember correctly, the ebox-jabber package has been updated fixing some "ebox" domain stuff. Please try to upgrade to the new version to see if that corrects your problem ;)

Regards,

J. A. Calvo
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

Sam Graf

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 01:43:02 pm »
Software Management doesn't show an available update. Unless there is a newer version than 1.2.1 of the Jabber module, I'm already up to date. Is there something else I could look at, to provide more information?

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 06:37:14 pm »
No, you are right. If you have the 1.2.1 version you are up to date.

As jsalamero says, could you give us a screenshot of your pidgin configuration? maybe there is something wrong...

Regards,

J. A. Calvo

Sam Graf

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 08:58:25 pm »
Sure. Here you go. Notice the trailing slash in the third image ... that's the only thing I see that seems different from normal.

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 09:18:41 pm »
That means "ebox" is not resolved to any IP address.

You must set up a DNS entry indicating "ebox" IP address. You may change jabber domain from "ebox" to "ebox.samgraf.lan" assuming that  your local DNS network is "samgraf.lan" and it has a hostname called "ebox" whose IP address is the internal interface eBox address.

Best regards,
My secret is my silence...

Sam Graf

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 09:47:51 pm »
Right, that's what I said earlier, that "ebox" isn't being resolved. Since that's actually correct behavior "out of the box," I suggest taking an "eBox for Dummies" approach to this, then, and not supply a default Jabber domain, so nobody assumes that that should work. Since it shouldn't. Thanks. :)

I'll give it a try later and report back. I'm looking forward to getting this working.

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 09:59:16 pm »
The "ebox" name doesn't need to be resolved in order to make work the jabber service. You only have to put the eBox ip address (or any other domain name that resolves to it) in the field "connect server" of the advanced tab, that you have currently in blank.

Regards,

J. A. Calvo

Sam Graf

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 10:01:41 pm »
Super. I'll give it another try.

Perhaps that could be added to the documentation?