Author Topic: What traffic shapping can do now?  (Read 2314 times)

aba3k

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
What traffic shapping can do now?
« on: March 01, 2008, 08:40:22 pm »
Hi

What features are supported now in traffic shapping?
I see that l7 is not implemented yet.
Shapping by host is possible? Can i divide the bandwidth fairly by hosts, let's say, i have a 1mbit link and 3 hosts (A, B, C). If no one is using the link, as example host A can hit 1mbit. But if hosts B start to use the link they can have 512k for him. If host C start to use the link them the link is divided in three equally parts.
Is possible to shape by extension (like shape just .exe)?
Is possible to give priority to ack or syn packets?

Would be good to have some monitoring tool for traffic shapping.

Thanks.

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
Re: What traffic shapping can do now?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 09:06:18 am »
Hi aba,

Traffic shaping module now supports traffic shaping per service, source, destination and interface. Every rule created may set a priority, a limited and a guaranteed rate.

Take a look to [1] to know that l7 shaping is planned to do done.

[qoute]
Shapping by host is possible? Can i divide the bandwidth fairly by hosts, let's say, i have a 1mbit link and 3 hosts (A, B, C). If no one is using the link, as example host A can hit 1mbit. But if hosts B start to use the link they can have 512k for him. If host C start to use the link them the link is divided in three equally parts.
[/quote]

You may guarantee a rate of 333 kbit/s to these 3 hosts to satisfy your needs, at least in some way.

[qoute]
Is possible to shape by extension (like shape just .exe)?
[/qoute]

As L7 shaping is not implemented yet, shaping by extension cannot be done. You may shape per  service (port/protocol).

[qoute]
Is possible to give priority to ack or syn packets?
[/quote]

We thought not to include this feature in order to ease the usage of this non-trivial module.

Best regards and thanks for choosing eBox!
My secret is my silence...