Author Topic: Zentyal 3 and Samba shares not working  (Read 2871 times)

MachielR

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Zentyal 3 and Samba shares not working
« on: July 11, 2013, 11:56:29 am »
Good day all.

I am hoping that there is someone out there who has had the same issue I have or whom can help me resolve mine.

We are currently running Zentyal 2.1 and have recently installed a new machine with Zentyal 3.0.17.

Our plan is to migrate from the Zentyal 2 to Zentyal 3 , however we seemt o be experiencing some issues relating to the Samba setup.

We have configured all modules on the Zentyal 3 server, together with migrating all users, etc...
      Our samba shares is currently on a seperate disc from the OS to make migration or moving to new machines easier.

During the migration, however, we placed the drive in the new machine, but Samba did not start. we enabled acl on the mount where the shares are located as suggested by the log, however then we kept on getting i/o read errors when trying to start samba.

eventually we abondoned the migration temporarily in order to do the following:

- we installed a new disc on the new samba machine in order to rsync all the samba shares to the new disc.
        - we mounted the new disc with acl enabled, and got samba started on the zentyal3 machine.
        - All directories were created as per the confiiguration (even though they are empty as the data had not been copied yet).
        - however, when trying to access one of the shared folders via a gui, we get the following error: Failed to mount Windows share: Permission denied

- I have created a new testing directory , and set up the user that have permissions to access the folder via zentyal front end (acl) , yet the message remains.

I cant seem to find any other log file entries except for stating the same.

Can anyone please perhaps assist me in trying to resolve this issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

christian

Re: Zentyal 3 and Samba shares not working
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 12:58:22 pm »
"Permission denied"... is it because you have migrated data ? What I mean is:
"do you face similar issue when created share from scratch on target server and set ACL based on Zentyal 3.0 users and groups ?"

MachielR

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 01:06:59 pm »
Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

The users and passwords were migrated using a migration script found on the internet.

passwords have been manually reset afterwards.

Shares were manually created on the zentyal 3 machine from scratch together with the acl's on whom can connect to which shares.

I have created a completely new user, share and acl today to test that same theory and still getting the same issue.

Regards

MachielR

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 01:15:07 pm »
Also a note, is that when I connect to the shares, it shows the folders but at no point does it ask me for a username or password.

Whenever I try to go into a folder it immediately gives that error, where in the past it used to ask for a user and password.

christian

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 01:47:28 pm »
are your clients authenticating against Zentyal domain ? Using Kerberos ?

MachielR

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 01:54:14 pm »
Hi, sorry not sure what you mean by that.

All the users have simply been setup on Zentyal on the users section.

MachielR

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 12:13:51 pm »
Hi Guys,

Just an update on the current status op this post, maybe someone can assist me with the rest.

- The old disc containing the user shares has been put back into the Zentyal 2 machine , however 2 of the shares are now inaccessible via samba (directory not found error even though it is there).

- A new disc was mounted in the zentyal 3 machine , freshly partitioned, acl and user_xattr added to mounting arguments. Samba starts up on the zentyal 3 machine, and freshly created directories are accesible.  The problem on the zentyal 3 machine now however is that even though there are acl's configured on the shares (acl's created with users that was created under the users section), it does not seem to be taking affect. All directories are currently accesible by anyone, however we require each directory to only be accessible by its specific owners or groups.   Any ideas here would be appreciated as some google searches turned up nothing of help.

- Once these issues have been resolved, I then need to migrate the physical data from the old zentyal machine to the new zental 3 server. How will I be able to sync these shares without breaking the samba4 again as it seems to be very temperamental.

I really hope someone can help me out here as we have been considering completely canning the upgrade to zentyal 3 due to all these issues.

Regards
Machiel