Author Topic: Running Zentyal in Virtualbox - how to configure 2 NIC's on the host machine?  (Read 2232 times)

fullmoonguru

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
I have a media center running Ubuntu 12.04 which has Zentyal running in Virtualbox.  I'm about to set up both NIC's in Zentyal to manage the internal and external networks.  I guess when I set up the routing and gateways I'll route the host through Zentyal like any other workstation, but I'm unclear how I handle the 2nd NIC on the host machine?

cyberstudio

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
You don't need to do anything  on the host machine. On your virtual machine you need to add 2 network cards, both set to "Bridget network". You need to set the ip as static on both cards.

When you're installing Zentyal, you need to set one card as external, and another as internal. Your isp router should be on the same network as your external card (For example: 192.168.0.1 for your ISP router, and 192.168.0.2 for your external card), and your client machines and your internal network card should be on another network (For example: 10.0.0.1 for your internal network card on Zentyal, and 10.0.0.X for your clients)

Then, your clients should use the internal Zentyal ip (10.0.0.1 in this example) as their default gateway.

PD: If you run this setup, you should take into account that you wont have internet access util you power on your VM!

Sorry for my bad english

fullmoonguru

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Thank you, I'll try that setup.

Your English seems perfect to me.