Author Topic: Adding existing user to samba permissions.  (Read 2412 times)

feratechinc

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Adding existing user to samba permissions.
« on: June 14, 2013, 05:41:55 pm »
So I have an issue. I'm trying to sync file systems on different servers. The only issue is that the Unison runs under the main user. Is there any way to add an existing user to the samba permissions group? Right now with the sync I'm having issues with Unison not have permissions for certain files.

I tried adding the user through the control panel but I get an error that says the user is already created. How do I get this user to show up and give them the correct permissions.

One one server I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 Zentyal 3.0
The older server is Ubuntu 10.04 Zentyal 2.2

Thanks for your help.

feratechinc

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Adding existing user to samba permissions.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 07:24:37 am »
Is there no way to do this through the web interface? Do I have to manually edit the .conf? or would Zentyal erase those settings any time a new user was added?

Lonniebiz

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 04:42:19 pm »
Regarding the issue of Zentyal saying that the user already exists, when I originally installed Zentyal, during installation you had to provide a user name.

After installing, this particular username, (although it existed as linux user and as a user that could login to the Zentyal administrative interface) it was not added as a user under the Office > Users and Groups > Users.

When I tried to add it there too, it would say that the user already existed, even though it was not listed under Office > Users and Groups > Users.

So, were you trying to add a user with the exact same username that you created during install? If so, you may want to try another user name and make the user a domain Admin.

I'm not sure this will solve your overall goal, but it may address the "user already exists" portion of your issue.

feratechinc

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 10:05:26 pm »
Yea this sucks. I'm trying to setup dropbox to automatically be synced into a network share for everybody.

What I had to do was setup a cron job to constantly keep setting the correct permissions. It's such a messy work around. Ohh and I had to install webmin as well because Zentyal refuses to include editing of cron jobs into their system.

Lonniebiz

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 04:11:52 am »
I used webmin way before I found out about Zentyal. I think its pretty cool that you can use both on the same server.

To me Zentyal's killer feature is how easy it is to configure an Active Directory replacement for a small business.

christian

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 06:41:30 am »
To me, using Webmin in parallel to Zentyal can be very dangerous if not used very very carefully. Too much potential overlap  :-\

Regarding file sharing ACL, indeed Zentyal GUI permit only add for LDAP accounts and groups.
Did you try, instead of running cron job, to modify Samba conf using hook as described here ?