Author Topic: LTSP - how to setup ports  (Read 2210 times)

sternfan

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
LTSP - how to setup ports
« on: July 02, 2013, 05:20:49 pm »
Hi all,
I have a server setup with two NICs.  I would like to test LTSP.  How can I make sure that the second NIC - ETH1 - is the nic connected to the thin clients?  In other words:

ETH0 = connection to my regular network (and then to the internet)
THT1 = connection to thin clients (DHCP etc)

Thanks,
Rob

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: LTSP - how to setup ports
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 01:23:23 am »
The delivery mechanism is by DHCP.  DHCP is setup per ethernet device.  Setup your eth1 with the appropriate ip address range and then make sure the thin-client (next server) setting is also defined (under DHCP--eth1--configuration--advanced options tab). 

christian

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 10:58:16 am »
This is perhaps a stupid question but I wonder if, from physical network standpoint, this is really organized properly because your description makes me feel that you may have some users connecting to eth0.

"eth0 = regular network and internet" means that eth0 is you external connection isn't it? Thus you should not have users or even servers on this network segment but only external router and Zentyal. Anything else you may have here (because obviously you can plug devices) will not be controlled by Zentyal.

As Half-life explains, you can set-up DHCP for eth1 and configure it to support thin-clients

sternfan

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 02:18:46 pm »
Half_life - I didn't install the DHCP module (recently worked on Edubuntu and it was included - figured the same with Zentyal.  I think I should be able to figure it out from here.

Christian - I have a small lab to setup - about 12 PCs.  Looking into doing a thin-client since its for students to surf the net and play a few games.  The internal is a windows 2008 domain so Zentyal is only for these 12 PCs.

Rob

christian

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 02:24:16 pm »
So that's pretty easy: deploy Zentyal, configure DHCP (yes it is indeed embedded in Zentyal, depending on which Zentyal modules you decide to install) and pay attention to the thin-client specific settings as explained by Half_life.

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 07:55:09 pm »
@ sternfan   I am experimenting with using Raspberry Pi s as my thin client.  I have had good luck with them and am moving out of the test phase into a limited rollout.  I am using my home network to test this and am deploying Raspberry Pi s to my kids. 

sternfan

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 10:01:55 pm »
Thanks for the continued replies.

I think I am going to setup the clients as Fat Clients (Fat Image).  The PCs will be dell gx520s with 1gb ram (or more) - so they should do nicely.  I noticed there is a list of apps for the Fat Client - I assume that if a app isn't on the list, that it will run off the server as a thin client?  Any idea how to tell if a PC isn't running as a Fat Client?  Or an app isn't running FAT?

What I am concerned about (since this is a shared lab using a single account) is that users will want to change things such as the desktop background, screen resolution etc.  What I really want is that once I setup the desktop the way it should be - the users can't change it.  Thoughts?

Thanks,
Rob