Author Topic: NIC is not visible for eBox  (Read 2279 times)

linker

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
NIC is not visible for eBox
« on: February 27, 2008, 04:05:29 pm »
Hello,

I have copied this message from this topic: http://forum.eboxplatform.com/index.php?topic=160.0
Maybe someone who can help did not see it :)

I have the following trouble: the eBox does not see my second NIC. The first card is connected to WAN and has the eth1 interface, the second is conected to the LAN. At installation a system has found the both NICs and suggested to use the one of them as general. But now (after installation and installation eBox packages) it does not see the second card - eth0.

The ifconfig gives me the following:
eth1 ....
lo ...

The eth0 is absent here. The found card (that works normally [eth1]) is Realtec NIC.
The second card is VIA technologies (biult-in NIC) and it is not seen.

Could it be caused driver issues? Does a some way exist to enforce the system to see the second NIC (it has been found at installation)?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 05:13:50 pm by linker »

linker

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: NIC is not visible for eBox
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 05:13:19 pm »
I have added one more NIC (d-link) and now eBox uses it as eth1. I did not remove other cards, but they are not visible for eBox. I see in the log (kern.log) that all cards are detected and the system assigns IRQ for them.
At least 2 cards work good (tested separately) with eBox, but eBox does not see more than one NIC simultaneously. Ifconfig shows only eth1 and lo interfaces.
So this is not a driver issue. Seems it is related with eBox someway.
Could anybody advise?

P.S. I have installed the system according to this article: http://trac.ebox-platform.com/wiki/Document/FAQ/HowToInstallWithNewKernels
except kernel updating step (otherwise I obtain kernel panic). I have a SATA drive so pure eBox installer does not see it.

Thank you
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 05:18:50 pm by linker »

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: NIC is not visible for eBox
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 02:26:00 pm »
eBox doesn't do anything weird to the interfaces. If ifconfig doesnt list an interface eBox won't see it.

Most of the eBox packages have been ported to the next ubuntu version: 8.10 hardy. You should experience fewer hardware issues with that system. Although it's not stable yet.