Author Topic: HDD management tool??  (Read 3130 times)

Nuno

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
HDD management tool??
« on: February 25, 2008, 02:00:19 pm »
Hello.

Is there any graphical hard disk management tool to install on the ebox?

Let me explain  :P

I installed eBox on a pc in my home network (that will work as a file server), but I only formated one of the disks. So i've left out the other 2 disks. What I would like to do is: Create a RAID 0 partition with the other 2 disks and share it on my home network.

1. Does eBox suportes software Raid?
2. Is there any graphical hard disk management tool to install in the ebox or do I need to use shell commands to create partitions and manually edit fstab.

Thank you

Nuno

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: HDD management tool??
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 05:30:58 pm »
Hi,
  eBox provides a option to view the information about RAID devices under the system menu. However this option only appears if you have RAID devices in your computer.

There are not options to create or manage the RAID devices and partitions from eBox interface so you need to create them manually as in any other debian system

Nuno

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 09:30:20 pm »
Hello again.

I was thinking of installing webmin over eBox, and from there, trying to use it's graphical hard disk management tool...

I don't know, but, is this possible?

Webmin has a debian package, so I thougt that I could install it over the eBox, just to manage my hard disks.

When I try to install it using apt-get install webmin_1.400_all it replies "Couldn't find package webmin_1.400_all".

So, I've downloaded the deb package, and when I try to install it with dpkg -i webmin_1.400_all.deb but then it replies that there are missing dependencies.

Thank you

Nuno

jcanfield

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 02:38:14 am »

Is there any graphical hard disk management tool to install on the ebox?

Depending on which distro you are using (debain or ubuntu) you should use the common tools included.  This should all be part of the server planning process.  For example, if you plan on having software raid, build your server using standard documentation [1] then install ebox on top.

[1] http://advosys.ca/viewpoints/2007/04/setting-up-software-raid-in-ubuntu-server/

-Jim
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius...and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction."  --  Albert Einstein