Author Topic: Fresh install - perl constantly using CPU?  (Read 2410 times)

clickwir

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Fresh install - perl constantly using CPU?
« on: June 09, 2013, 01:36:35 am »
I just did a fresh install with the latest download. I installed to a VirtualBox VM, 8GB disk and 1GB RAM allocated. I gave it 2 NICs, one set to NAT and the other as the internal VBox network.

Another Win XP VM with one NIC set to the internal VBox network. Fairly minimal XP machine, MS Security Essentials, Firefox and all latest updates.

Zentyal boots up ok and everything works fine. It's routing traffic to the XP VM. If Zentyal isn't running, XP VM cannot access anything. While sitting at the Zentyal desktop, I opened User Console and ran top.

Right now the XP VM is not running and Zentyal has uptime of over 1 day. While watching top, perl seems to hold steady at 25% CPU time. I have no idea what it's doing but it's constantly using CPU time.

Setting up in a VM was the first step in testing Zentyal to see if I want to try it in production. It's passed pretty much everything I've tried/want to do with it... but using a constant 25% CPU time is a deal breaker. Maybe I turned something on in the web config that is causing it. I don't recall setting up anything other than the 2 NICs, DHCP and DNS. I really wanted to keep it simple before trying more.

Any ideas why perl is constantly running and using so much CPU?

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Fresh install - perl constantly using CPU?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 12:11:48 am »
While top is running press the "c" key to have it show the command line arguments.  Perl is used by many things and it would be impossible to guess what is causing this without more information.   

clickwir

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 06:39:28 am »
Command shows /usr/bin/perl /usr/share/perl5/EBox/CaptiveDaemon.pm

clickwir

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 06:47:23 am »
So I've removed Captive Portal, rebooted and am monitoring it now. So far, it looks much better.

Any thoughts as to what it was doing and why it was constantly doing it?

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 05:30:01 pm »
I have only briefly tested captive portal and did not notice the behavior you indicate during testing. 

Sam Graf

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 05:46:26 pm »
I just checked my 3.0 test machine and can confirm high (~18%) CPU usage by /usr/share/perl5/EBox/CaptiveDaemon.pm. clickwir, I didn't see a bug ticket for this problem so I suggest you open a new one.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 05:47:58 pm by Sam Graf »

clickwir

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 11:46:24 pm »
I don't recall even selecting it at any point. Is it a default package?

Sam Graf

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 12:38:26 am »
It's not a default package, but it may be installed with one of the server roles--looks like maybe the gateway role? Each role installs multiple modules, so I suspect you probably installed one or more roles to end up with the captive portal module not only installed, but also enabled.

Sam Graf

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 04:55:54 pm »
I've submitted a bug report for this. We'll see what the developers think.