Author Topic: Status of the Samba 4.0 integration in Zentyal 3.0  (Read 14146 times)

ichat

• Zen Hero
  • RTFM!
    • View Profile
Re: Status of the Samba 4.0 integration in Zentyal 3.0
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 10:11:51 pm »
What I realized, thanks to J. A. Calvo announcement, it that Zentyal goal is "SMB targeting or already using Windows".
From business standpoint, it does make sense

does it??
in the same time i see lack of a Buisyness case, regarding  non windows client networks. where is the 'all linux approach' 

and will permit to address these companies already running Windows environment but wiling, for whatever reason, to get rid of Microsoft server or companies wiling to deploy, for reasons I don't really understand except workstation OS choice (but this is off-topic) Microsoft like environment.

So what's the impact aside deployment easiness (which is already a good point) ?

- It can't address, at least today, medium to large organisations or IT landscape (furthermore, in such landscape, targeting "all-in-one" design is meaningless)
- Do not expect to customize "your" LDAP server because it's now tightly linked (like in real Microsoft world) to Samba requirements. Zentyal design will be dictated, from LDAP standpoint, to what Samba will permit. Same for Kerberos and DNS although this has less impact in real life.
- "Light" Zentyal deployment will not exist anymore: if you thought about deploying Zentyal as internet gateway only (meaning without office related components), drop this idea as Samba will be required as core component. No criticism here: with "all-in-one" design choice, this makes sense. But medium to large organisations will most of the time not go in this direction.
This is also a really interesting point  can zentyal exist without samba in the near future?

so that is why i dont understand your next point, so far so good,  because its not JUST about  business its also about technical choices.

So far so good. From business standpoint, this is, for what I understand, consistent.
From technical and intellectual standpoint, this is not my own choice. Yes AD does the job but with so many drawbacks that it kills any capability to design and deploy something that has not been "Microsoft approved". Samba is taking same direction... Why, starting from scratch, would you want to reproduce same behaviour?  Well, to be able to integrate into existing landscape and take market share. I do respect this but this is not my own job.

I've no personal interest in deploying Microsoft infrastructure  :-X  but I do understand it has some efficiency. At least you don't need any IT architect and sysadmin ;D

All tips hints and advices are based on my personal experience.
As I try my best to be as accurate as possible, following my advice is always at your own risk,
I claim absolutely NO responsibility in any way!

christian

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 10:54:04 pm »
Ichat,

I think the answer is within Zentyal's hands but this is how I see it:
If we were dealing only with open source without any commercial version, I share that priority would be technical choices first. If you don't need to sell your product but do it for fun only, you can focus on technical choice and have the best intellectual approach, even if your market is very small as it has not impact.
If, on the other hand, you provide community version but also standard and professional versions and need to sell service in order to survive, then you look at what market is made off and priority is not technical choices but solution that will permit to take market shares. And this market is, today, almost 90% Microsoft.

Look at Zentyal home page  Next webinar is "bye bye SBS..." jointly with Canonical and Zarafa.

This is why I said that, although I do not share the technical choice, I do understand why this is made this way and acknowledge this is perhaps the best short term solution.

Non-Windows clients are very few. And, look at this forum, even those targeting Linux only clients and servers are asking for Windows like features  ;D
I never saw one asking for NIS or NIS+ equivalent domain or anything similar to this (hopefully BTW  :)) but some wondering how they could apply GPOs to their Ubuntu clients joining Samba (Windows) domain. Is there anyone asking for NFS instead of CIFS ? I don't think so...

So, this confirms that Zentyal strategy, at least for SMBs, is the right one, from marketing standpoint.
Medium to large organizations is a very different debate isn't it?

sampei

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 09:51:27 pm »
Update: More detailed documentation about some Zentyal scenarios with Samba4 can be now found at http://trac.zentyal.org/wiki/Documentation/Community/Development/SambaScenario

I thought I would report that I am getting a blank page whenever I follow that link

EDIT
Actually there is a small "plain text" link that leads to a "Corrupted Content Error" page
EDIT 2
OK I am going blind. Didn't see the "See Documentation/Community/Document/SambaScenario". However I am still getting the corrupted error...

« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 02:17:15 pm by sampei »

mburillo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 12:42:11 am »
It's working for me, probably a brief service interruption related to the migration to the new .org

Regards,
Zentyal Staff - Product Manager