Author Topic: First time on zentyal  (Read 1942 times)

Cfenton

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
First time on zentyal
« on: May 30, 2013, 09:53:50 pm »
I have never used a server Os,  and zentyal is my first time.  I love the look but I have some questions.  I have installed the server and am trying to connect a computer via a cable to the zentyal machine. I have not done anything to the computer I the computer is a windows 7 and can detect Internet but cannot access it I was wondering on how do I get this computer to least be on the Internet.  I tried searching it and vmware and thin clients still waiting for an image. Do I need to install it on the laptop for it to connect.

ichat

• Zen Hero
  • RTFM!
    • View Profile
Re: First time on zentyal
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 11:03:18 pm »
first of all ... check if you have installed the right components for things to work...

first things first:    you nead to have a working network connection,  preferably via a switch or maybe  what consumers call a  modem/router  or a router... 

connecting a pc directly to your zentyal   without any devices in between requires a special type of cable, called a straight cable but is not recomended...

than be sure that both devices are on the same network  (ip + subnet) ... read the http://doc.zentyal.org  website for more info...

All tips hints and advices are based on my personal experience.
As I try my best to be as accurate as possible, following my advice is always at your own risk,
I claim absolutely NO responsibility in any way!

Cfenton

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 05:52:33 am »
It goes modem/router to zentyal from there I should go switch computer.

christian

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 06:37:49 am »
I have never used a server Os,  and zentyal is my first time.  I love the look but I have some questions.  I have installed the server and am trying to connect a computer via a cable to the zentyal machine. I have not done anything to the computer I the computer is a windows 7 and can detect Internet but cannot access it

I don't really understand how you "detect" internet and is the error message, in any, when you try to access it.

Do I need to install it on the laptop for it to connect.

To install "what" on laptop ?

Did you read this already ?
Although it focuses on proxy, following it should give you internet access easily unless problem is not at Zentyal level.

You wrote "vmware" and also "I have never used a server OS"  ???
Quite a challenge... perhaps...  ::)