Author Topic: Zentyal 3.0.20 zentyal.me does not work for me  (Read 1746 times)

vmajor

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Zentyal 3.0.20 zentyal.me does not work for me
« on: May 30, 2013, 07:01:08 am »
I found the issue mentioned in 2011, but nothing more recent, so here is a new thread. I am on Zentyal 3.0.20 fresh full install. All modules up to date.

I registered for the Zentyal Server Account and was issued with a xxx.zentyal.me address, but that address does not point to my server, or anywhere else as far as I can tell. Ping to xxx.zentyal.me results in "unknown host"

Any suggestions?

V.

christian

Re: Zentyal 3.0.20 zentyal.me does not work for me
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 08:26:04 am »
Any suggestions?

Yes, at least one:
Would you mind being more explicit in both topic title and content?
Title as generic as "it doesn't work" will not attract forum members thus you will not get support.
Then reading your post, I don't understand what the issue is except that it has something to do, apparently, with IP address.

I found the issue mentioned in 2011, but nothing more recent, so here is a new thread. I am on Zentyal 3.0.20 fresh full install. All modules up to date.

Which one issue ? what are speaking about ?

I registered for the Zentyal Server Account
Do you mean you authenticated against Zentyal or something else ? Windows account ? LDAP ? or is rather DHCP stuff ?

and was issued with a xxx.zentyal.me address, but that address does not point to my server, or anywhere else as far as I can tell. Ping to xxx.zentyal.me results in "unknown host"

1 - xxx.zentyal.me is by no mean an address but fqdn (Fully Qualified Domain Name)
2 - this "name" can't "point" to your server if this is your client's name isn't it?
3 - Ping apparent issue doesn't mean "it doesn't work" but may reflect DNS issue only

or... this is something totally different: you describe Zentyal server issue. Then I don't know what "registration" means and suggest, again, that you make clearer explanation of what your problem is  ;)

vmajor

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 08:49:47 am »
Hi christian,

do calm down or do not bother replying, it is aggravating.

By "not working" I am implying that it does not perform its stated purpose ie. the zentyal.me does not perform the Dynamic DNS resolution by pointing my assigned zentyal.me address and pointing to my variable IP address. What else is it supposed to be doing?

Regarding the "which one issue?" the search function brings this up: http://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,8822.msg36731.html#msg36731

By "Registering for the Zentyal Server Account" I am refering to the "Dashboard" interface on the Zentyal web interface. Have a look at it and it will become clearer.

I am unable to present my issue in a better way as I am attempting to do my work, and this isn't it. Thus if this is not sufficient then forget it. I will use an alternative Dnamic DNS service. I had success with DynDNS in the past.

V.

christian

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 08:53:18 am »
 ;D  I'm cool and calm and reply only to help you getting answer and having your problem solved.
If you don't understand this this way, I apologize and let you do it the way you feel the more efficient.

Bye.  8)

vmajor

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 09:04:59 am »
Well now you sound calm. And I do understand. The issue is that developers and experts in the field are too close to the issue. I am primarily an end user and I interface with Zentyal setup primarily during deployment. This is my third deployment and it's been a while since the previous one. 

So from my end, the feature either works or it does not. If it does not and I care enough to try to make it work I will explain the problem how I see it, and I only see the user interface. Thus I had no idea what you meant by your clarifications as they have no context from my perspective. I still do not know what most of it meant.

Thus I am hoping that my second post added sufficient information for someone to suggest a way to make the Zentyal dynamic DNS work.

Cheers,

V.