Author Topic: Replace server without rejoining all computers  (Read 1819 times)

cheapschool

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Replace server without rejoining all computers
« on: May 28, 2013, 11:18:13 pm »
I had to re-install zentyal (I have the old server, I can ssh in to get data I need), Everything is working, except I would like to copy whatever samba files that I need so that I do not have to re-join all the computers to the domain and copy all their user profiles. How would I go about doing that?

christian

Re: Replace server without rejoining all computers
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 11:28:10 pm »
Zentyal 2 or Zentyal 3.0 ?
So far, what you will have to retrieve, assuming this is feasible, is stored in LDAP.

cheapschool

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 11:34:54 pm »
Zentyal 3.0
How would I get that information out? Is it possible over SSH?

robb

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 12:21:27 am »
First what I can think of: Join the domain with the new server as a domain controller. Sync all domain data. Then you can close down the original server.

christian

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 12:38:43 am »
Robb, this will work only if the replacement server has different IP and former server still live on LAN isn't it?

cheapschool

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 12:40:17 am »
The old server isn't working properly. (http://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,15418.0.html I have more-ish information now on that) I can ssh in and access files, but none of the zentyal modules are working. I ended up remaking it so that people can work today, but as soon as they turn off their pc/logout, the machine trust gets lost, I have to re-join the domain, and the local user profiles get re-created

And as christian pointed out, new server has the same IP as the old.

astana

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 11:38:24 am »
I had the same problem a while ago. Our server had a hardware fault, and due to lack of equipment and difficulty getting repairs quickly here I had to setup a backup server. At one point I wasn't sure what the problem was, so didn't migrate the Zentyal module data over. That meant recreating a new domain.
I managed to get a semi automated structure set up, rsyncing all the profiles and data, script to add the users, another script to set the acls of ntuser.dat etc.
I actually worked very very well, at least for my userbase. The only thing lost was their passwords and their desktop images.
I started writing it up for work for future reference, but I'm not 100% sure I have all the info correct (it was a slightly stressful time).

If any of this sounds interesting to you, please let me know and I can send you further information.

cheapschool

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 05:40:59 pm »
It does sound interesting. I ended up migrating by hand. Not so bad, because I only had aproximately 7 computers that needed to transfer. (Although windows XP is super annoying)