Author Topic: Fixing samba shares permissions  (Read 3487 times)

Laurent Dinclaux

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
    • Gecka
Fixing samba shares permissions
« on: February 08, 2012, 06:32:11 am »
Hello,

I have setup a Zentyal server for a customer to replace a centos install. I have created the needed shares and copied to files to those. What chmod/chown command should I run to fix permissions? I have tried something but I ended with the inability to created directories in the share I am working in ...

As an exemple here the permissions I get when creating a new file:

-rwxrwx---+  1 ithupane __USERS__    0 2012-02-08 15:48 Nouveau document 3

I don't get what is that plus sign at the end of the permissions. And I don't get what I have done wrong to lost the ability to create folders (I can create files)

Thank you.

Laurent

hejsan

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing samba shares permissions
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 07:11:21 pm »
I ran into the "+" question myself and it seems to indicate it is associated with an ACL (Access Control List). If you look at File Sharing, Shares, Access control [for the particular share] do the permissions make sense for the account you are trying to add the folder under?

Not sure about the above. Just brainstorming. Would love to hear if this makes any sense and helps at all

Laurent Dinclaux

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
    • Gecka
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 01:25:16 am »
I ran into the "+" question myself and it seems to indicate it is associated with an ACL (Access Control List). If you look at File Sharing, Shares, Access control [for the particular share] do the permissions make sense for the account you are trying to add the folder under?

Not sure about the above. Just brainstorming. Would love to hear if this makes any sense and helps at all

ACL ... How can I give this permission on manually copied files over ssh ? That is the question ...
Laurent

Laurent Dinclaux

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
    • Gecka
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 11:44:21 pm »
So Zentyal staff, is that an issue with no solution ?

How to fix/set proper permissions (ACL) on files copied to a samba share via SSH ?
Laurent

UdoB

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 04:56:02 pm »
How to fix/set proper permissions (ACL) on files copied to a samba share via SSH ?

Please do the following: create a testshare from GUI (or use an already existing one). Set some rights for your groups/users. Go to a shell prompt and cd directly into that directory. Enter one command:

Code: [Select]
getfacl .
Read "man getfacl" etc. for details.

Best regards
Udo

Zei

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 06:27:08 pm »

Please do the following: create a testshare from GUI (or use an already existing one). Set some rights for your groups/users. Go to a shell prompt and cd directly into that directory. Enter one command:

Code: [Select]
getfacl .
Read "man getfacl" etc. for details.

Best regards

UdoB is right, samba sets the permissions at acl level, so you should be able to see that permissions using the getfacl command.

Remember that if you reset the file-sharing module all the acl will be rewrited using your current Zentyal File-Sharing module configuration.

Regards

christian

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 07:44:12 pm »
on the other hand, ACL is the result of what you configure using Znetyal interface. Why would you want to change it manually if I can ask ?

UdoB

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 08:52:57 pm »
Remember that if you reset the file-sharing module all the acl will be rewrited using your current Zentyal File-Sharing module configuration.

This makes me ask a question: what does "reset" mean in this context?
  • Will it re-assign Zentyals knowledge of acl on restarting the File Sharing module?
  • Will it re-assign Zentyals knowledge of acl on disable/re-enable the File Sharing module?
  • Will it re-assign Zentyals knowledge of acl on rebooting the server?

Best regards
Udo

Zei

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 12:51:43 pm »
Sorry UdoB,

I mean "restart" the File Sharing Module  ;)