Author Topic: small firewall question  (Read 2227 times)

scott

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
small firewall question
« on: April 01, 2013, 01:38:58 am »
this maybe a silly question. sry
when setting a fw rule to an internal interface ip address will the rule apply to all the addresses that dhcp dishes out from that interface?
i only ask cause i think im still having a port issue even after setting any to any.

christian

Re: small firewall question
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 06:48:36 am »
Scott,

if this post relates to another thread or problem, please do not create a new thread or at least provide some link to the previous post.
i only ask cause i think im still having a port issue even after setting any to any.
is hardly understandable, especially because you do not provide is error message or explanation.

FW rules apply to addresses you have set in the "source" section on the rule that is, again, made of:
"source" - "destination" - "protocol" - "decision"

scott

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 06:02:16 am »
sry, i haven't been on to update this post. no its not related to another post, or maybe its i just can't find it. sry.
so this is my setup.

nic1                            nic2   
        static                          192.168.0.1
     xxx.xxx.xxx.199           dhcp range(192.168.0.2-192.168.0.200)                       
isp/modem----------zentyal----------------------------------- ap for home pc's/tablets/mobile/ect
                                       ---------------------------------- ps3
                                                 nic3
                          dhcp range(192.168.1.2-192.168.1.2)

when play online games with the ps3 there are 2 problems.
1) when using my mic and headset: some players i can't hear them and they can't hear me at all./ other players we communicate perfectly. i never get a sometimes with any player, its always i can or i can't communicate with them and them to me.
2)lack of connecting to games with players

when my ps3 is connected to the straight to modem i have no issues with anything. which is nat type 1.
my firewall is set as:
under filtering rules for internal network:
decision: source: destination: protocol:
accept-192.168.1.2-xxx.xxx.xxx.199-any(also tried setting any tcp along with any udp)(also tried setting source as 192.168.1.1 or both)
filtering rule from external network to internal network:
decision: source: destination: protocol:
accept-xxx.xxx.xxx.199-192.168.1.2-any((also tried setting any tcp along with any udp)(also tried setting destination as 192.168.1.1 or both)

i've tried setting fw settings to and from zentyal as well but no luck.
so im at a lost here

christian

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 08:05:34 am »
my point was about this post where yo also discuss PS3 related problems (slow ping).

As I explained in this very similar thread, I can't help except stating that my sons are using PS3 behind Zentyal without any known problem and there is no specific FW rule neither port forwarding  ;)

Sam Graf

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 06:44:43 pm »
In the case of Xbox, when I was running a Zentyal home server, I ran into "double NAT" problems similar to that described here:

http://www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/faqs/59-my-nat-is-strict-or-moderate

I don't know if double NAT'ing applies to PS3, so this is just FYI...

scott

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 07:54:53 pm »
once again SORRY about starting a new topic. i didn't think it would be the same topic considering that topic(which you where vary helpful) was just to setup as a gateway. the zentyal is up and running as with proper ping. so i mark that topic as solved.my current issues are clearly stated.
1) when using my mic and headset: some players i can't hear them and they can't hear me at all./ other players we communicate perfectly. i never get a sometimes with any player, its always i can or i can't communicate with them and them to me.
2)lack of connecting to games with players
is there anything that i stated about ping? NO

christian >:( congrats on explaining it in a vary similar post that you can't help with this issue.stop badgering me about where i made my post i already said sorry and it wont happen again. if you can't help don't post.
 >:( >:(

scott

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 08:15:21 pm »
sam  :) :D ty much. i use to have a variety of nat issues but i had my isp switch to a static ip to my house and it fix all the nat issues.
including double nat.
any other ideas?
i was thinking about maybe trying a 1-1 nat configuration? but i hear you have to do it tho hooks? and know nothing about using hooks.
do you think 1-1 would even make a difference?
sry im still on a learning curve here.
ty