Author Topic: DHCP STATIC LEASE FOR DHCP CLIENT  (Read 1638 times)

lim_sovannara

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
DHCP STATIC LEASE FOR DHCP CLIENT
« on: June 20, 2014, 05:50:11 pm »
Dear all,

It's so hard for me to make fixed address for specific client by using zentyal DHCP Module, because the option make static lease doesn't work at all. I try to use network object to add ip address with mac address and then I assign it to fixed address option at dhcp module, but nothing effect to the PC it still keep get dynamic ip from dhcp server even I do release renew or reboot client and server. I spend almost two day on internet searching how to get this work but something are not clear about this topic.

Could anyone tell me the detail how to do with this to get it work?

Thanks & Appreciate
sovannara LIM

faustotex

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: DHCP STATIC LEASE FOR DHCP CLIENT
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 09:20:49 pm »
Lim,

You seem to be doing all that is needed.  However IP addresses assigned to objects CANNOT fall within any existing DHCP ranges.  Let's say in subnet 192.168.10.0/24 you have defined a DHCP range "main" spanning from 192.168.10.101 to 192.168.10.200.  In this case you may use object IPs in the range 192.168.10.1 to 192.168.10.100 AND in the range 192.168.10.201 to 192.168.10.254 because none of these IPs would conflict with range "main".  If you satisfy this condition then the IP of a given object will be served to the interface which has the associated MAC address.  Naturally, your PC interface should remain configured for dhcp but will now receive the desired IP.

royceb

Re: DHCP STATIC LEASE FOR DHCP CLIENT
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 05:20:14 pm »
faustotex is spot on with this.  I had a hard time before recognizing this issue (dipping my ip address ranges for static dhcp leases into the set range and it took me week to figure out).  Set your objects as stated and name your network scheme accordingly to get your desired results.