Author Topic: Accessing port forwarding from inside the network  (Read 2301 times)

vivekratnavel

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Accessing port forwarding from inside the network
« on: April 05, 2013, 07:49:33 am »
My domain points to public ip on external interface of zentyal server. I have setup port forwarding on my zentyal server to forward all incoming traffic on port 80 to my web server inside the network. It works fine. But when I try to access the same domain from internal network, it does not forward traffic to web server, instead shows me the page from zentyal server itself (zentyal's web server). I tried to setup port forwarding on internal port of zentyal, but it does not work. Any support is appreciated.

christian

Re: Accessing port forwarding from inside the network
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 10:48:56 am »
Your web server is an internal one isn't it?
Client is also on same network (LAN) correct?

Why would you want to access this web server from client going though Zentyal server? Except if you have some specific network constraint, there is not strong reason for such design.

Then, remaining question (that has been asked less than 2 days ago BTW in same forum, feel free to use search feature  ;)) is:
"how to reach this server using external domain name?"

Quite easy: just define in Zentyal DSN section you external domain and maintain internal hosts (with internal IP address of course)  8)

vivekratnavel

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 05:08:22 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

In the DNS section, Zentyal automatically created an entry for our domain (say xyz.com). In that entry, for 'Domain IP Addresses', our external IP and Zentyal server's IP are added automatically. Even if I try to change the Zentyal server's IP with the IP of our internal webserver IP, it doesn't work (Still showing the zentyal webserver page).

christian

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 05:23:43 pm »
In the DNS section, Zentyal automatically created an entry for our domain (say xyz.com). In that entry, for 'Domain IP Addresses', our external IP and Zentyal server's IP are added automatically.

Can't you remove the external IP from this "domain IP" section ? I was discussing this with some guy few day ago in 1 to 1 chat and I'm totally convinced this is misleading. This could only contain the default IP to be used when no hostname is provided. E.g when looking for PDC to authenticate against xyz.com domain. But even in such case, external IP is not required and not needed.
Even if I try to change the Zentyal server's IP with the IP of our internal webserver IP, it doesn't work (Still showing the zentyal webserver page).

:o :o why would you change Zentyal's server IP  ???

Did you try what I suggested that is to remove this useless "domain IP" (the external one) and add hostname (in DNS) matching your web server with its internal IP.

One important point:
Do you confirm that from outside or from inside, you are accessing your web server typing something like "service.xyz.com" and not "xyz.com" ?