Author Topic: Upgrade to 3.0 after upgrade to Ubuntu 12 without WI  (Read 4309 times)

christian

Re: Upgrade to 3.0 after upgrade to Ubuntu 12 without WI
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2013, 03:40:12 pm »
I don't really understand where you stand with DNS configuration.
What have you already configured ?

Dirk2718

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2013, 04:26:31 pm »
First, I was forced to install kerberos when updated to precise. Perhaps I configured it in a wrong way. Or should I remove kerberos?
(I tell you this, because I think it can be part of my problem.)

The DNS has to be activate in the modules of zentyal to get Users and Groups. After that I had to add a Domain. Here I took the IP of my router. However, the DNS is disabled, but I cannot save changes without an error.

If these information aren´t enough, please tell me which information you need.

Thank you!
Dirk

Dirk2718

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2013, 05:13:54 pm »
I go one step ahead! Adding the gateway IP of my router to Domain Network Server Resolver under Network/Composite/DNS helps me to access the internet. Before this, resolve.conf contains "domain fritz.box".

christian

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2013, 05:20:20 pm »
Again, I'm not discussing about config files content but what Zentyal GUI exposes.

I feel you mix up DNS as service provided to Zentyal clients and DNS client that as to run on Zentyal side to resolve external name.
On Zentyal server, in network menu, DNS section, you have to configure DNS to be used. First one is most likely 127.0.0.1 but you also need external DNS servers.

As first one is 127.0.0.1, Zentyal can also resolve local names but I don't think we face such problem, at least for the time being.
Then is order to reach external DNS, you do need, obviously to have network gateway configured and reachable.
Once done, just configure existing external DNS like OpenDNS (208.67.222.222) at least for test purpose  ;)

Dirk2718

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2013, 05:33:56 pm »
Yes, I think I mixed these two services. Sorry.

I took only a look at the config file, because one find some hints about config files and the content. I didn´t change anything here, but in Zentyal.

As you mentioned, I add in Network menu, DNS section my router IP and got internet access. A upgrade runs without problems. Is it necessary to add OpenDNS?

However, I cannot resolve my local server. The server name is not available. Accessing its IP is no problem.

christian

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2013, 05:57:54 pm »
Do not take it the wrong way: I'm not saying you should never look at files at OS level but, at the end, configuration will be done using GUI so first step is to describe what is done in GUI and also explain what is targeted, from feature standpoint.

So, first, good point is that you can access internet and solve external names  ;)
no you are not obliged to rely on OpenDNS. Notice there is nothing to "add" but you need to configure external DNS. My advice was to use OpenDNS because this is easily available. You can however replace it with whatever DNS you want it there is another one fitting better your needs.

Resolving internal names is another topic: you do need to configure DNS server, not DNS client (well, DNS client will use local DNS service because of the 127.0.0.1 described earlier).

Dirk2718

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2013, 06:08:37 pm »
Ok. :-)

So, my current problems are: It is not possible to resolve the server name locally. Only access via the IP is possible.
And, when saving the config in Zentyal, I always get the message
Code: [Select]
Some modules reported error when saving changes . More information on the logs in /var/log/zentyal/

The following modules failed while saving their changes, their state is unknown: dns

Do you have a hint to solve these two problems?

Dirk2718

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2013, 06:53:00 pm »
This solves the second problem:
http://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,11935.msg48781.html#msg48781

But I´ve got another one. ;-)
When adding an user, that is not shown in zentyal, I got the message, that this user allready exists. This is right, but how do I get it shown in zentyal?

Best regards
Dirk

christian

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2013, 09:12:16 pm »
This is right, but how do I get it shown in zentyal?

You can't.
Account can't be both at OS and at Zentyal level.
If you want this account to exist in Zentyal, you have to remove it from OS.
But... if you have used this machine to run services relying on system accounts, then this is perhaps not a good idea to install Zentyal on it  8)