Author Topic: Upgrade to 3.0 after upgrade to Ubuntu 12 without WI  (Read 4316 times)

Dirk2718

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Upgrade to 3.0 after upgrade to Ubuntu 12 without WI
« on: March 31, 2013, 01:43:01 pm »
Hallo @All,

I´ve upgraded my Ubuntu Server from 10 LTS to 12 LTS. Now I´d like to upgrade to Zentyal 3.0, but I cannot reach the webinterface anymore to do the first step from the migration guide:
http://trac.zentyal.org/wiki/Documentation/Community/Migrate_2.2_to_3.0
So I look around and found the script make_backup in the Zentyal 2.2 docu:
http://doc.zentyal.org/2.2/en/backup.html#cli-tools-for-the-configuration-backup
But when I call the script with "perl make-backup", I got this message:
Can't open /var/log/zentyal/zentyal.log (Permission denied) at /usr/share/perl5/Log/Log4perl/Appender/File.pm line 103.
I´m logged in as root.

Do you have any suggestions how to solve this problem and get the configuration backup?

Kind regards
Dirk

christian

Re: Upgrade to 3.0 after upgrade to Ubuntu 12 without WI
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 01:52:40 pm »
Unless I'm wrong (I never performed this migration) but looking at migration document, it looks like your path is definitely not the recommended one
If you don't want to reinstall your server and prefer to do a full distribution upgrade (from Ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04), you can try, but we don't recommend it, if you go ahead, you will probably need to purge the whole set of Zentyal 2.2 packages manually, and also others like the ldap ones.

Do you mean that you launched 10.04 to 12.04 migration without having performed Zentyal backup before ?

Dirk2718

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 02:02:02 pm »
Do you mean that you launched 10.04 to 12.04 migration without having performed Zentyal backup before ?

Unfortunately, yes. :-(

The server is for my private use and I´m not that familar with it. So I missed a backup before the upgrade.

Is it possible to migrate the configuration, or do I have to purge everything manuall, install Zentyal 3.0 and set up everything manually?

christian

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 02:11:59 pm »
Unless you have complex settings (which I doubt if this is for SoHo usage), I would suggest that you backup mails and data (file sharing) and reinstall 3.0 from scratch.
I feel it will be easier. In any case I can't really help with migration process, sorry  :-[

One question however (although, I know, it doesn't help):
as home user, are you migrating because of 12.04 (in such case, what is the added value) or because of Zentyal 3.0 (and here again I'm curious to know what triggers such move)

Dirk2718

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 02:21:30 pm »
Ok, I will do it this way. Do you have any hints how to backup file sharing? The different users are read out from the system directly?

:-) A good question. Especially on knowing the slogan "Never change a running system".
I installed Ubuntu Desktop 12 LTS on a system and thought, why not upgrade my server, too. Therefore I think it would cause major difficulties on jump over the current LTS version.
And I got an advantage: mediatomb works now much more smooth on precise. ;-)

christian

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 02:43:37 pm »
Regarding 12.04 vs. 10.04, except if you have strong reason to either benefit from 12.04 updates (and even in such case, I would look at back-ported solution) or if you do need GPO or Kerberos, I would, at least for the time being, not move to Zentyal 3.0 but wait for 3.2
I may happen that 3.2 is somewhat different, from an architecture standpoint, from 3.0 (which is very different from 2.2, reason why migration is not easy)

As Zentyal home user, I'm pretty happy with 2.2. I made some tests with 3.0 but have not been convinced that is was worth the migration coat.
Debate could be somewhat different for medium organization for which better Windows domain emulation (including GPO support, even if with some limitation) does help but I still can see the point for small business and home users.

back to your question: in order to backup samba content, you may just copy folders elsewhere, either on external system or even on your server. Do not forget mail (/var/vmail if I'm not wrong).
Once done, you can remove and purge existing Zentyal packages and reinstall 3.0 from scratch, recreate accounts, copy back your data. In the worst case, you may have to change ownership or apply access rights.

Dirk2718

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 02:50:08 pm »
From this point of view, I could stayed at 10.04. But now the upgrade is done...

Is it possible to use 2.2 with 12.04? If not, I will go the way you sketched.

Thank you
Dirk

christian

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 03:00:56 pm »
As far as I know, no, you can't run 2.2 on 12.04  :(
3.0 might be OK for you if you don't use "advanced" features like Kerberos and GPO but I don't remember, e.g. haven seen option to deactivate Kerberos...

Still some users are happily running 3.0 so just give a try  ;)

Dirk2718

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 03:08:54 pm »
I will do so.

Is it enough to save the smb.conf to save my file sharing?
Can I backup my users?
The directory /var/mail/ does not contain any files.
The fstab is not touched by Zentyal, isn´t it?

How do I remove zentyal? Is "apt-get remove --purge zentyal" the right way?

christian

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 05:57:12 pm »
smb.conf will not save any user data. Or I misunderstand what you mean.
It depends on what you have configured (thus your smb.conf statement  ???) but you should first look at /home

As I wrote above, mail (assuming you use standard mail service) are stored in /var/vmail/yourdomaine, not /var/mail
If you use Zarafa, then, sorry again, I cannot help but some Zarafa related topics exist in this forum.

Sam Graf

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 06:31:34 pm »
How do I remove zentyal? Is "apt-get remove --purge zentyal" the right way?

I know that christian suggested taking this route (if I understood him correctly) and that's a perfectly legitimate suggestion, but once your user data is safe you would also have the option of starting with a clean install of Zentyal from the Zentyal ISO (2.2. or 3.0, depending on your preference there). That will give you a clean installation of the relevant parts of Ubuntu Server and spare you some of the speed bumps some have discovered installing Zentyal on top of an existing server installation.

Just another option ...

christian

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 06:53:00 pm »
Sam, this would be my preferred option too but this user seems reluctant to save data "outside".
Reinstalling from Zentyal CD can be done, using advanced options, still keeping some partitions unchanged but this is not totally straightforward. This would mean to resize existing partitions, create a new one, copy data to be saved, reinstall without formatting, move saved data and resize partitions again  8)

My first proposal was to reinstall from scratch, so I share your point.
Then while progressing in this thread, my feeling is that Dirk is rather prone to move to 3.0 (12.04 already installed and data already in this server) and was even wondering how to backup data.

I'm not the one promoting 3.0 , so again, yes, the best option, to me, is also to reinstall... 2.2  ;)

Sam Graf

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 10:08:33 pm »
Ah, sorry, I missed the sense of not moving data to an external target.

Dirk2718, for what it's worth I agree with christian that 2.2 is at present the better choice for a home server. 3.0 sweetens the pot for business users (even in workgroup settings IMO) but less obviously for home servers.

Dirk2718

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 04:56:55 pm »
My first proposal was to reinstall from scratch, so I share your point.
Then while progressing in this thread, my feeling is that Dirk is rather prone to move to 3.0 (12.04 already installed and data already in this server) and was even wondering how to backup data.
That´s right. So I don´t like to install Zentyal from the scratch with the iso image.

Ok, the smb.conf only contains the folder permissions.
How do I backup the users and groups? The folder /home/ contains a directory for every user and a folder named samba.
I don´t use the server for mailing stuff, so I don´t have a folder /var/vmail/

Best regards
Dirk

christian

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 05:11:04 pm »
Dirk,

I perceive you're not very comfortable with "backup", correct?
You have multiple options:
- the safest: external backup. Copy all data to external storage, either over LAN (scp, ftp or whatever similar) or on USB storage you temporarily connect to to your server (once disconnected, this will be "external" backup isn't it?  ;))
- the faster: move your data elsewhere on your server so that Zentyal installation does not erase or alter it and move it back once Zentyal is installed.

smb.conf does not contain folder authorization but configuration applied to shares. You can of course copy this file but the is very little chance you can use it out of the box if you deploy Zentyal 3.0 as Samba version differs (Zentyal 3.0 running now Samba 4.0)