Author Topic: Samba and OpenVpn  (Read 1854 times)

vinny74

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Samba and OpenVpn
« on: March 04, 2013, 06:45:45 pm »
Hi all I put on a local server to which I have to connect via vpn but I can not see the samba shares from VPN, reading the documentation I should put on openvpn samba listening also tun0 interface, can you explain how? If control in smb.conf are active only l0 and eth1.

thanks

P.S. this is an online translation

vinny74

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Samba and OpenVpn
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 09:16:53 am »
Ok I managed to turn even tun0 in smb.conf, but vpn still do not see the samba shares. Can you help?

thanks

P.S. this is an online translation

bksouder

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 04:34:21 pm »
You get any where with this?  We are trying to configure a VPN tunnel right now, and it seems to be connecting, but never finds the server.  i wonder if it is a similar problem.  We are currently setup with a double NIC for the LAN and WAN.  I think we are going to try changing the setup so the server is not the gateway, and use a router since I have to add wireless to the network anyway.  I need the second NIC now to try to multi-home the server for a second network they need a printer on.  I will let you know how we make out.

Sam Graf

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 05:26:43 pm »
There are some layers of complexity to this, and for people new to Zentyal (or anything else complex) taking it slow and methodically can help. I know that sometimes deployment time is against slow and methodical, but the benefits of that approach save time and reduce frustration in the long run.

Windows clients may or may not "see" Zentyal shares in the "network neighborhood" sense. That may not be a problem if Windows users don't need to see what's available because the shares are still available. Out of the box, Zentyal provides reliable file sharing despite the fact that network browsing is confusing. In other words, there shouldbe no need to edit configuration files for basic file sharing to work as expected.

Unless you have no access to a wireless access point (for when you add wireless), I think things will be more straighforward with Zentyal as a gateway. Just as a suggestion.