Author Topic: Bug with VPN? Solved!  (Read 1893 times)

rutri

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Bug with VPN? Solved!
« on: May 25, 2009, 04:15:32 pm »
I tried to get the client information for my Ubuntu desktop however when set everything up and click change to download it I am unsuccessful.  The eBox reports an error and tells me to look at the logs.  First are there any know bugs with the VPN for the latest stable release?  Second where in the logs would I look to find out more about this problem.  Third is there an alternative way to get what I need to set up my VPN on my laptop?  Once again any help would be greatly appreciated in this matter. 

Regards,

Richard
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 11:36:19 pm by rutri »

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Bug with VPN?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 04:26:35 pm »
Hi Richard,
  the client bundle is used to simplify thing but is not required. You can fetch the certificates in the 'Certificate Manager' section and edit a configuration file for the openvpn client.

However we can first take a look to your logs and maybe we can solve the issue. The logs are located at /var/log/ebox/ebox.log. Try to download it again and search in the last liens for the relevant error

rutri

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 04:44:50 pm »
This is what it says:

Code: [Select]
2009/05/25 08:42:35 WARN> Logs.pm:309 EBox::Logs::getModTableInfos - tableInfo() in openvpnmust return a reference to a list of hashes not the hash itself
2009/05/25 08:42:35 DEBUG> LogFiltering.pm:70 EBox::Events::Model::Watcher::LogFiltering::new - Missing argument: tableInfo
2009/05/25 08:42:35 WARN> Events.pm:572 EBox::Events::__ANON__ - model EBox::Events::Model::Watcher::LogFiltering cannot be instantiated
2009/05/25 08:43:01 WARN> Logs.pm:309 EBox::Logs::getModTableInfos - tableInfo() in openvpnmust return a reference to a list of hashes not the hash itself
2009/05/25 08:43:01 DEBUG> LogFiltering.pm:70 EBox::Events::Model::Watcher::LogFiltering::new - Missing argument: tableInfo
2009/05/25 08:43:01 WARN> Events.pm:572 EBox::Events::__ANON__ - model EBox::Events::Model::Watcher::LogFiltering cannot be instantiated
2009/05/25 08:43:02 ERROR> Sudo.pm:185 EBox::Sudo::_rootError - root command tar czf /var/lib/ebox/tmp/downloads/Richard-client.tar.gz -C /var/lib/ebox/tmp/\
Richard-client.tmp 9D915248ABA872EB.pem cacert.pem Richard-client.conf VPN Client.pem failed.
Error output: tar: VPN: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
 tar: Client.pem: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
 tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 11:54:48 am »
Hi Rutri,

Thanks very much for report and now that it is fixed in our development version. Meanwhile, you may choose a certificate whose common name may have no spaces, please.

Best regards,
My secret is my silence...

rutri

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 12:58:28 pm »
So if i create a new certificate with no spaces it will work properly?  Also, will this be fixed for release 1.2?

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 02:16:42 pm »
So if i create a new certificate with no spaces it will work properly?  Also, will this be fixed for release 1.2?

It should be and yes.

Best regards,
My secret is my silence...

rutri

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 03:53:54 am »
OK I built the package and everything however it would seem that the package is not compatible with Gnome's Network Manager Ubuntu.  I was wondering if anyone here would be able to help me set this up, I dont care if I use Network Manager or not, I just want an easy way to connect to my network form Linux.  I have the windows side working great so I think this will be the last step to finishing my VPN configuration.

Thanks for your support

Richard

c4rdinal

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 07:57:09 am »
I think you should lay out what you have done so far so we can contribute.

HTH,

James

rutri

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 06:02:58 am »
I currently have set up an eBox with the open VPN module, and validated that it works by connecting with a windows VPN client.  I spent about 3 hours last night looking at how I can do the same with Ubuntu however I do not think there is a suitable GUI to do so. I found two clients that support VPN for Ubuntu however I unable to get them to connect properly.  Most of the forms I read pretty much said if you want to connect to open VPN with Linux you need to do it through the command line.  If this is so I would like to have the VPN start up automatically.

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 11:54:27 am »
I have yet to look to linux's VPN GUI's so I cannot help you on that.

If you want to start automatically the openvpn command line, you can put the configuration files in /etc/openvpn and the init process wil run openvpn. (you can invoke this anytime with /etc/init.d/openvpn restart).
Just remember to move the certificates too or to set the correct paths in the configuration file
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 12:44:22 pm by sixstone »

rutri

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 03:38:41 am »
Thank you very much it worked like a charm.  If i stop the service will that stop it on reboot?  I don't want to be using the VPN connection if I am on my LAN.

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 08:09:45 am »
No, the init.d/openvpn script always start at the bootup. However it has a variable that can be wrote to signal wether you want to start the daemons or not.
This is the varaible AUTOSTART and its value could be 'ALL', 'NONE' or the names of the openvpn daemons to activate.

You can write a short script that edits this value in the file (with sed for example) and starts or stops the service.

As last thing, remember when changing package files that the package's upgrade we will overwrite any custom changes, so take care of this.

rutri

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Bug with VPN? Solved!
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 11:33:50 pm »
Thanks for all of your help on setting up my VPN it has been greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Richard
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 11:35:30 pm by rutri »