Author Topic: Standalone Telephony Server  (Read 2147 times)

Ashburn

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Standalone Telephony Server
« on: February 14, 2013, 09:07:10 pm »
Hy everyone!

Due to budget constraints, our Zentyal server is going to be ~150ms away from our client networks. As such, I'm assuming we may end up facing issues related to latency and jitter dependent services. So I was wondering: is it possible to setup the SIP/XMPP on a geographically closer box and still get to use the Kerberos authentication? Maybe an Openfire or Elastix standalone setup running as a Kerberos client outside the VPN... Would that work?

Thank you!

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Standalone Telephony Server
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 11:05:59 pm »
No matter how you slice it,  you will always be 150ms away (you will probably gain latency trunking through an intermediate box).  Alternative Sip trunking?  Google Voice?

Ashburn

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 04:20:26 am »
No matter how you slice it,  you will always be 150ms away (you will probably gain latency trunking through an intermediate box).  Alternative Sip trunking?  Google Voice?

Thank you for the clarification!  ;)

I have yet to go through Kerberos manual pages in depth, but I was assuming it would only add up some overhead latency for the few packages of the authentication/key exchanging process. That's why I had already ruled it out of the VPN since I know OpenVPN will always forward every packet to the server (even when using client-to-client flag).

I'm pretty sure Google Voice is unable to fulfill our fairly complex PBX demands, so what do you mean by "Alternative Trunking"? Would that be like making the user base fully independent from Zentyal?

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 01:58:21 am »
I am only addressing VOIP concerns with my responses.   I am suggesting that you check for a SIP provider who is closer (latency wise) to your satellite office.  With fairly minimal dialplan setup, you should be able to get both sides together.