Author Topic: blocking access attempts by IP address  (Read 3871 times)

Barrydocks

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: blocking access attempts by IP address
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 03:30:43 pm »
One of the "sneaky tricks" of SMF search is that it's global only from the home page, it seems. I found a few more results when searching from there.
Now feeling slight stupid :-[
Thanks

Sam Graf

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 03:41:50 pm »
Now feeling slight stupid :-[

If it makes you feel any better, I have no idea how long it took me to realize that that's how it seems to work. Who knows how many searches I botched before I realized what was going on... :-[

So there's at least two of us who made that mistake at least once. ;D

UdoB

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 08:29:21 pm »
On most of my servers I generally have password authentication disabled for ssh but on one I need it enabled, this is the one I would like to block failed login attempts.

You might move sshd from default Port 22 to any other arbitrary Port. This is definitely security-by-obscurity but nevertheless it will reduce brute force attacks by much more than 90% without additional tools.

Best regards
Udo

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 12:54:30 am »
Thanks half_life

I realise that both fail2ban and zentyal firewall both use IPtables, my concern was based on the fact that zentyal tends to over write changes made to config files (hence the need for the pre and post set hooks).

I did do a search on the forum for fail2ban but only this post was found :-\

I'll give it a try and see what happens :D

Sorry if what I said came across harshly.  I assume that you have found a few more posts on the subject since then.  If Zentyal overwrites iptables rules, it would only happen during a reconfigure or a restart.  This should affect the default behavior of fail2ban.  I wouldn't configure it to permanently block an IP address as this could impact operations eventually.

Barrydocks

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 11:08:18 am »
Thanks for all the advice, I have ended up going with denyhosts http://denyhosts.sourceforge.net/ that (as I understand it) relies on adding entries to the /etc/hosts.deny which is not modified by zentyal rather than using IPtables - although I am happy to be corrected on this  :)