Author Topic: "Missing Arugment: Interface IP address" - DHCP stopped  (Read 2195 times)

cejack

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
"Missing Arugment: Interface IP address" - DHCP stopped
« on: January 09, 2013, 05:04:12 am »
In my DHCP settings, I now get:

"Missing argument: Interface IP address"
Further - DHCP module status shows as "Stopped" at the Dashboard's Module Status screen. 

I basically had to switch out a router that died this morning.  Using DD-WRT on a D-Link DIR-615.  Flashed it with DD-WRT so it actually works well.  :-)

My question is "Do I even need to have DHCP turned on?"  It would seem to me that the answer would be "No" for this particular setup.  I mean, the DD-WRT router is now set up to handle DHCP requests on the network.  My workstations now have Internet access again and I can access the Zentyal blade which has primarily been acting as a file server.  (Running Zentyal 2.27.) 

I was hoping to hook Zentyal directly up via cable modem to NIC1 (eth0) and then hook up NIC2 (eth1) to the LAN switch that serves all of the other computers and devices on the LAN.  So my network attempt was to try this: 

>Internet > Cable Modem Static IP address > NIC1 (eth0) Zentyal server > Zentyal acting as router and DHCP server to my internal network > NIC2 (eth1) > rest of switches and wireless access points on my LAN serving various computers / laptops / tablets, etc.  I have a static IP from my ISP cable modem provider. 

I got lost in an endless array of Gateways, DNS, and DHCP settings in the Dashboard that didn't seem to work correctly to get Zentyal to act as the Internet router for my LAN.  I have an Atom Server with two network cards built into the server blade in my rack.  If anybody has a link to a good guide for this type of simple setup I would appreciate it.  I have the administrative guidebook for Zentyal Administrators 2.2 and 3.0 and nothing in there really seems to help me figure it out.  I would think this would be a simple setup...

I have turned off NIC1 (eth0) since I just couldn't get it to work.  I always presumed Zentyal could act as a router / gateway to my Internet connection by directly connecting an Internet ethernet device like a cable modem or a DSL modem to the NIC 1 (eth0) port.  Ergo, the DD-WRT cheapo routing device by D-Link would be unnecessary.  Am I wrong here?  Are most of you guys running dedicated hardware routers or other router software on a two NIC blade or computer running something other than Zentyal?

christian

Re: "Missing Arugment: Interface IP address" - DHCP stopped
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 08:42:14 am »
This looks like if you were trying to enable DHCP server in interface not already having static IP isn't it?