Author Topic: [Solved]Samba 4  (Read 2610 times)

ian

• Community Council Member
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Familie site
[Solved]Samba 4
« on: December 21, 2012, 04:02:40 pm »
Samba4 PDC problem,

Afther a new installation of Zentyal ( installer 3.0.1 CD 64 bit, install office and infrastructure modules ) what results in release 3.0.9, it is still not possible to join the domain with Windows Xp an Windows 7 clients aswell.

Best regards,
Ian
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 01:11:40 pm by ian »

robb

Re: Samba 4
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 06:55:54 pm »
Have a look at the new Samba 4 documentation: http://trac.zentyal.org/wiki/Documentation/Community/Development/SambaScenario
I hope it will make things more clear.

jase

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 08:53:53 pm »
evening

have just installed Zentyal from the new installer 3.0-1 CD 64 bit on hardware, then ended up with Zentyal 3.0.9 after all updates. i then joined the domain from a win7 PC (physical machine). the only thing i'm doing different to everyone else is that i'm not using the zentyal box for dns and dhcp as it will effect the rest of my network. dns and dhcp must be where the problem lies....

jase

christian

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 08:57:35 am »
Not DHCP but DNS, definitely yes.
Look at NTP too  ;)

ian

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Familie site
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 11:33:18 am »
Hello,

Thanks for the reactions.

Robb the document you propose does not help me further at the moment ( the methode to join a domain is well nowing, and used in the previous releases). The only difference with joining a domain is that now a fqd nae is required wat not the case was in earlyer zentyal releases ( 1.2- 1.4 2.0 and 2.2 ). I suppose that the domain name is a free choise and not mandatory zentyal-domain.lan.

The join problem of the domain is there since release 3.0.5 and the later releases.
I have made a ticket for this problem a few weeks ago ( ticket #5313 ).
For me there is a problem with the zentyal scripts, but as long that this problem not is solved the new relase can not be used in a operational environment.

Thanks and best regards,
Ian

P.s. maybe it could be interessant to have a meeting and talk about the most urgent aprouvmements in the new release and communicate it to de zentyal devloppers.

christian

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 11:35:50 am »
Do you know this?

ian

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Familie site
Re: [Solved]Samba 4
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 02:04:49 pm »
Hello,

The problem of join a pdc domain with windows clients is solved.
There is a difference with previous releases of Zentyal ( 1.0 > 2.2 )

In the release 3.0.xx there are a few other definition needed on windows clients:

I have done the test to join windows clients with zentyal server office release 3.0.10 64 bit.

On the windows clients there are two settings needed
1 )In  the configuration window > configuration > system > modify computername or domain.
Select member of domain, fill in the fqdn ( full qualifyed domain name ).
FQDN example : domainname.lan or domainname.be or domainname.nl , not the netbios domainname. Where domainname the name is you have given to the PDC domain.
2 ) In the configuration window > network center > network adapter settings, select TCP/IP protocol propertys prefered DNS address add ip address of the zentyal server and also add the ip address of the dns server of your internet provider.

For windows clients windows 7 and windows 8 , adapt the registry by dubbelclick on the file ebox-win7.reg ( file provided by zentyal in this forum ).

Now you can join the windows client to your domain.

So the are two major differences to join a domain with a Samba4 PDC , enter the FQDM name in he menu on the client ( menu to make client member of a domain ) instead of the netbios domain name ( domain name whitout extention ).
The definitions of the network adapter of the client must have fix DNS ip addresses instead of dynamic DNS, fix DNS ip address of the zentyal PDC and DNS ip of the internet provider. Also fill in the ip address of the zentyal server in the WINS definitions of the network adapter.

Be shure that the zentyal PDC server is also DNS server.

I have done the test with Windows clients XP windows 7 and windows 8 it work perfect. Also new is that now automaticly the H: dive on the client is connected to the logged on user, the is no need of the special loginscript to detect the version of windows of the client.

Ticket #5313 could be closed.

Best regards,
Ian 

jase

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 06:24:05 pm »
evening Ian

try connecting a win7 pc without the reg changes, it will connect, they are no longer required for samba 4, i assume win8 should also not need the reg changes but i haven't tried this one yet.

regards
jase

ian

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Familie site
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 10:57:24 am »
Hello jase

Thanks for the reply, it is good to now that the reg settings update no more must be executed.

My test client workstation has still these reg updates that's why i menthed it to be compleet.

It is good to now that a lot is improved since sama 4.

I still look for a solution to modify the default domain ( zentyal-domain.lan ) in a new domain name.
This is needed if zentyal is installed whitout the iso cd, and install zentyal in command mode.

Best regards,
Ian