Author Topic: Home Edition?  (Read 2188 times)

lyndondrake

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Home Edition?
« on: January 28, 2013, 04:29:03 am »
Hi,

I wondered if there has been any discussion of a home edition, at a cheaper price than the small business edition? The particular use that I would be interested in is as a gateway, with the automatic updates of url lists etc.

Lyndon

robb

Re: Home Edition?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 08:29:10 am »
That would be the community edition. At a whopping price of EUR/$0,00 per month...

christian

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 10:48:43 am »
with no updates isn't it?

robb

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 11:58:41 am »
?? What do you mean with 'no updates'?

christian

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 12:16:57 pm »
"non community" editions claim (or at least claimed) to provide update with the various URL lists used to implement filtering and virus control.
I supposed lyndonedrake is asking for one more level that would be between the small business and the community, at lower cost, providing only updates without support.
Am I correct?

ArchW

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 03:50:40 pm »
I use it at home and it works great.....standard apt-get updates every day!

lyndondrake

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 09:06:54 pm »
Exactly — the non-community versions promise automatically updated url blacklists, antispam and virus definitions. With the community edition, the admin has to upload definitions via the web interface.

robb

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 12:20:28 am »
What about some community effort to create a blacklist of URL's and maintain some categories of URL's including an easy to import package? Would that help for home use?

christian

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 06:09:48 am »
What about some community effort to create a blacklist of URL's and maintain some categories of URL's including an easy to import package? Would that help for home use?

Definitely YES  ;D.... assuming "community" does work on it in a proactive mode.
What I mean is that such community can not act as consumer "only" if goal is to maintain such lists  :P

meiser

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 09:26:09 am »
Exactly — the non-community versions promise automatically updated url blacklists, antispam and virus definitions. With the community edition, the admin has to upload definitions via the web interface.

Could you be more verbose on your statement "With the community edition, the admin has to upload definitions via the web interface."?
clamav's freshclam does the automatic update of anti-virus definitions on my installation.

Sam Graf

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 05:04:47 pm »
I don't know if this is the case here, but there are problems with the antivirus interface in the community edition, at least, reporting that the definitions are not being updated. Outside (or maybe in addition to) Clam, there are several other rule lists that are intended to benefit from a non-community subscription, I think.