Author Topic: realm name and samba logon problems - workaround  (Read 2342 times)

Barrydocks

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
realm name and samba logon problems - workaround
« on: December 12, 2012, 11:24:29 am »
I have being having a similar problem to the guys in this post:
http://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,12418.msg51123.html#msg51123
in that the realm name is automatically set to be the same of the as the fqdn but then the .com suffix (I think this is called the TLN) is omitted form the NetBIOS domain name.  The problem with this is that the windows clients are not able to logon to the local samba domain.  If you simply try to add the suffix back in using the File Sharing module admin page, you get the error that the NetBIOS domain name is too log.  I have also found that changing the realm name in the krb5.conf file makes no difference so I have resorted to the following work around:
1. create an exhaustible file in /etc/zentyal/hooks called samba.postsetconf
2. use the following command to find the realm name in the smb.conf file and replace it with your fqdn:
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/sh

sed -i 's/YOUR_FQDN.COM/YOUR_FQDN/g' /etc/samba/smb.conf
Then restart the module, you will still find the NetBIOS domain name listed in the file sharing admin page without the suffix but you windows clients will now be able to logon to the samba domain :)

This is a very rough and read way of doing things which simply reflects my lack of programming knowledge and I am more than happy if someone can provide a more elegant method

christian

Re: realm name and samba logon problems - workaround
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 11:42:13 am »
Am I correct thinking that this works only if your [fqdn - ".com"] is shorted than 16 chars ?

Barrydocks

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 01:42:23 pm »
Am I correct thinking that this works only if your [fqdn - ".com"] is shorted than 16 chars ?
You could be right as my fqdn is 15 charaters without the .com on the end.  Do you know if it is possible to miss of the .com during the initial setup (which is when the realm name is set) and then add it to the fqdn after?

christian

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 02:05:03 pm »
I'm not sure about this but suppose that constraint is due to inheritance of Netbios having limitation to 16 chars, pushed further to 15 by Microsoft because of the underscore character they reserve.