Author Topic: Windows 7 Clients Freeze Admin Tasks (SOLVED)  (Read 1990 times)

Mixa

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Windows 7 Clients Freeze Admin Tasks (SOLVED)
« on: December 12, 2012, 07:12:04 am »
Hi,

I've done a fresh install of Zentyal 2.2 into a cliente where all machines are Windows 7, Zentyal is setup as a PDC, and also am using it as a DHCP server and DNS.

All Win7 machines are connected to the Zentyal domain with minor issues, the thing now is whenever i need to perform admin tasks in the client machines, they freeze and become irresponsive in way that the only solution is to switch of the machines, also their performance becomes extremely slow when using some MS applications and adding new apps or drivers to a specific hardware.

Any solutions or ideas ? Desperate at the moment...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 02:24:58 pm by Mixa »

christian

Re: Windows 7 Clients Freeze Admin Tasks
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 09:17:33 am »
Are you using Zentyal file sharing and roaming profiles?

Mixa

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 09:32:07 am »
Hi Christian,

Am using file sharing, roaming profiles are disabled at the moment.

File sharing works ok, though.

christian

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 09:40:41 am »
And what if you execute these admin tasks on same machine in "disconnected" mode (meaning authenticating locally)?

Mixa

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 09:47:32 am »
To no avail... as they are on the domain, they immediately are logged as part of the domain, unless i get the machines out of the network they are assigned, this i did not try yet, but this is not the goal, the all idea is that Zentyal manages the authorization processes.

christian

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 10:04:05 am »
Of course this is not the goal but at least it permits to check if this performance issue occurs only when connected to the domain or if it is local to each machine for whatever reason  ::)
I'm not proposing any solution but help you to investigate  8)

Windows maintains local password even for machine connecting to Windows domain (e.g. laptop not connected to network). You can therefore just authenticate with your laptop while travelling still using your domain credential. That's what I was suggsting so that you can improve your understanding of what may happen.

Mixa

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 10:06:44 am »
Ok. will do it now and post back the results.

Just to add to the issues, in this particular customer, they store all of their documents in a shared folder, and whenever they want to switch from one document to the other takes them more or less 5 minutes just for their Win7 machines to process it, when they were previously connected to the WinServer'08 this task was done automatically...

Regards,

Mixa

christian

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 10:12:08 am »
OK, so this is not "roaming profile" but nevertheless equivalent to "remote MyDocuments" if I understand well ;)

Could you please tell us more about DHCP, DNS and WINS settings ?

Mixa

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 10:18:04 am »
When i take the PC's out of the network i can do admin tasks in a breeze.

As per shared folders, in Windows they used to have a folder on the server where they would share all the documents, not "remote my docs " it was a fixed folder.

DHCP, DNS and WINS settings are all managed by Zentyal, the router is only used as gateway.

DHCP and DNS work ok.

jase

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 05:00:33 pm »
mixa

i've had this happen at a new client of mine, but it was slow logons not file sharing though, i found it to be the dns on the server was not setup correctly, i proved this by putting the servers ip as an entry on the workstations dns. logins then flew along.

christian

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 05:03:32 pm »
Indeed this kind of behaviour is quite often due to DNS or WINS issue (therefore my question) but according to Mixa, DNS is ok...

jase

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 10:13:54 pm »
therefore is there a quicker way to prove if their issue is dns related?, ie if an nslookup of zentyal-domain.lan (for example) fails will this prove dns is the culprit?
what i'm getting at, is there a list of standard questions we can ask or put in the wiki to help point at the users, configuration error? as I feel some of the 'other' posts are not reflecting well on zentyal where the person has the option of putting their hand in their pocket for support or reading all the previous postings, at this stage i've only done the latter so far.....

Mixa

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 7 Clients Freeze Admin Tasks - Solved
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 02:21:22 pm »
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, other issues came around, i switched off all the and made the admin on a "solo" basis, went ok, then i switched the machines back to the network and the response has improved, as per the customer (who happens to be a friend also), it is improving the experience.

Maybe because the machines were previously in another domain (WinServer2008), this could have caused the problem.

Thanks a lot.