Author Topic: Deleting module doesn't clean up nor remove old configurations  (Read 1959 times)

Marcus

• Forum Moderator
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Professional IT Service
Deleting module doesn't clean up nor remove old configurations
« on: December 10, 2012, 10:26:41 pm »
Hello,

Zentyal: v3.0 (up to date)

I installed the webserver module on a newly installed host.

The problems came after removing the webserver module (along with Zarafa).

I noticed that I wasn't able to forward ports (80 and 443) to a NATed host.  then I noticed that the SSL was also still installed.

So, first of, I tried to remove the SSL and failed... (keeping in mind that the modules got removed)
Same for Zarafa (that was also installed then removed)

Further investigation on the problem showed that all the regular files along with the configurations of the vhosts previously configured were still there.

Anyways, my question is;
How can I remove the rules and configurations of IPTables, SSL and Apache without beeing force to reinstall those modules and put bogus configurations ?

e.g.
For port redirection of port 80 & 443;
I had to reinstall the webserver and configure the listening ports to 8899 (initialy port 80) and 4433 (initialy port 443).

Wild guess;
I'll have to dump Zarafa MySQL database manually

** This is only for educational purpose - the server will get wiped out tomorow morning **

IMO, those files and configurations should be completly purged once the module  is removed.  If I recall it right, the trash left behind an uninstall was already talked about.  I've notice some improvement but there is still much work pending in order to get things clean and tidy.

Best,

Marcus

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Deleting module doesn't clean up nor remove old configurations
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 09:04:47 am »
Hello,

in this case 'remove old configuration' is to return to the old configuration files, right?. In this case you should purge apache, this will remove the configuration files and reinstall it again to bring back the default configuration files. Do the same with similar daemons

In iptables case, the configuration don't reside in any files but in the rules themselves. So you can execute 'sudo iptables -F'  and 'sudo iptables -t nat -F' to flush them.