Author Topic: Issue with Multiple Bonded Nics  (Read 1780 times)

phinsup

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Issue with Multiple Bonded Nics
« on: November 19, 2012, 09:42:34 pm »
I have two nics bonded and one nic going to the internet.  Everything works fine when only one of the bonded nics is plugged in.  As soon as I plug a second nic in, my internet connection drops.  I can still access the server, but cannot access the internet.  I had this workings fine previously with ubuntu, but i don't remember having this problem.

phinsup

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Issue with Multiple Bonded Nics
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 03:02:11 am »
Well I have gotten the bonded nics to work however a reboot or any changes to the network config and the settings are deleted, anyone know how to stop this?

Escorpiom

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 08:50:31 am »
Yes, instead of editing the .conf files you have to edit the .mas files, Zentyal uses templates and those are the ones to edit.
It will survive reboot or module restart, but when you update the module you will have to set it again.

Cheers.
Marcus' Rule:
Blanks & capitals = avoid it and you'll avoid problems...

Barrydocks

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 12:14:45 pm »
Yes, instead of editing the .conf files you have to edit the .mas files, Zentyal uses templates and those are the ones to edit.
It will survive reboot or module restart, but when you update the module you will have to set it again.

Cheers.
There is an easier way!
1. Create a copy of your interfaces config file with the bonding config:
Code: [Select]
sudo cp /etc/network/interfaces /etc/network/interfaces.copy2. Then create a postset config file (this carries out commands to config files after zentyal has changed them!) - this might be located in /etc/zentyal/hooks depending on your version:
sudo nano /etc/ebox/hooks/network.postsetconf3. Then paste the following:
#!/bin/sh

cp /etc/network/interfaces.copy /etc/network/interfaces

exit 0
4. Restart the networking module in zentyal

The only downside is that any changes to the networking config made in the zentyal admin portal will be lost.

Hope this helps!

ichat

• Zen Hero
  • RTFM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 06:34:55 pm »
@barry,    if you on that route,   why not use a parser, and  ONLY  replace the parts (read the adaptors),  that you want to override... 

you would probably need to translate your config to an  iface command of some sort... (im not 100% sure how that works)...  but it would still allow (read ... enable) you to change the other interfaces  for example the ones not being bridged...

at some point zentyal obviously should change the way that it 'detects'  your network devices...

so that  when you bond  eth0 + eth1  both of them are 'disabled'  from being managed,  but instead you get an new virtual device that you can  manage simular to any other device,  including bonded,   virtuals,   tunnels   etc.  all of these shuld be treated as regular nic's.
All tips hints and advices are based on my personal experience.
As I try my best to be as accurate as possible, following my advice is always at your own risk,
I claim absolutely NO responsibility in any way!

Barrydocks

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 10:46:10 pm »
@barry,    if you on that route,   why not use a parser, and  ONLY  replace the parts (read the adaptors),  that you want to override... 

you would probably need to translate your config to an  iface command of some sort... (im not 100% sure how that works)...  but it would still allow (read ... enable) you to change the other interfaces  for example the ones not being bridged...

at some point zentyal obviously should change the way that it 'detects'  your network devices...

so that  when you bond  eth0 + eth1  both of them are 'disabled'  from being managed,  but instead you get an new virtual device that you can  manage simular to any other device,  including bonded,   virtuals,   tunnels   etc.  all of these shuld be treated as regular nic's.
Thanks for the suggestion, I think this would be a good idea but as a non-IT-professional this is beyond my current skill set :-(